Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Kotapadi J. Rajesh|
|Cinematography||R. S. Anandakumar|
|Edited by||Vijay Velukutty|
|Distributed by||Mishri Enterprises|
Gulaebaghavali (English: The Flower of Baghavali) is a 2018 Tamil language gangster comedy film, written and directed by Kalyaan and produced by KJR Studios. The film features Prabhu Deva and Hansika Motwani in the leading roles, with Revathi, Ramdoss and Yogi Babu among others portraying supporting roles. Featuring music by Vivek–Mervin and cinematography by R.S.Anandakumar, the film was released on 12 January 2018.
The story opens in the British India reign where a British gentleman and porter are trying to catch a ferry. On the way, however, one of the suitcases being carried by the porter falls and opens, revealing many diamonds. The porter steals some of the diamonds and sends the gentleman on his way. He hides these diamonds in a trunk which he buries near a temple in the Gulaebagavali village.
The story shifts to 2018,This film shows a thief named Badri (Prabhu Deva) who, with his boss Nambi (Mansoor Ali Khan), performs petty thefts for a living. While at a pub, Badri spots Viji (Hansika Motwani) and falls for her. Soon, due to a misunderstanding, Badri unknowingly accepts to steal a priceless statue from the temple at Gulaebagavali and runs into Viji there. The duo escapes from the villagers and falls into the hands of a businessman Sampath (Madhusudan Rao) and his brother-in-law (Anandaraj), who forcefully sends them to Gulaebagavali to steal the trunk (It is revealed that the businessman is the porter's grandson). With some help from Munish (Ramdoss) and Maasha (Revathi), they successfully steal the trunk, which reveals a skeleton.
After a lot of confusion, the trunk is delivered, where it is revealed that the diamonds are stored in the skeleton. After a long argument, the police comes to the spot and finds that the diamonds were very valuable. After they escape from the police, it is revealed that during the fight, a hand of the skeleton fell in Maasha's car. On finding this out and how Maasha tried to deceive the other three, the trio chase her.
- Prabhu Deva as Badri
- Hansika Motwani as Viji
- Revathi as Maasha
- Ramdoss as Munish
- Anandaraj as Munish's boss
- Rajendran as Annachi
- Sathyan as Mayilvaganam
- Mansoor Ali Khan as Nambi
- Yogi Babu as Panni
- Madhusudhan Rao as Sampath
- Vela Ramamoorthy as Village Head
- Ambani Shankar as Maari
- T. M. Karthik
- Nagendra Prasad special appearance in the song "Guleba"
In April 2017, Prabhu Deva agreed terms to work on a fantasy adventure comedy film titled Gulaebaghavali under the direction of Kalyaan, who had previously made Kadhai Solla Poren (2016) and Kaathadi (2018). Hansika Motwani, who had earlier worked in Prabhu Deva's productions and directorial projects, was cast to play the leading female role opposite Prabhu Deva. Produced by KJR Studios, the makers also cast Revathi in a pivotal role, while a bevy of supporting actors including Ramdoss, Yogi Babu and Anandaraj were also recruited. A first look poster was released in May 2017, with Deva and Hansika revealed to be portraying con-artistes. Following the release of Baahubali: The Conclusion (2017), the team actively decided to enhance the film's budget on costumes to ensure a rich production value appeared on screen. The makers of the film included a scene which makes a reference to the 1955 film of the same name, with Kalyaan devising a special flashback sequence to connect the two films. For a particular set in the film, the art director created a replica of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon at a cost of two crores.
|Soundtrack album by Vivek–Mervin|
|Released||24 December 2017|
|Label||Think Music India|
The film's music was composed by duo Vivek–Mervin, in their fourth film venture following Vadacurry (2014), Pugazh (2016) and Dora (2017). The soundtrack was released on 24 December 2017 through Think Music India.
|1.||"Guleba"||Ku. Karthik||Anirudh Ravichander, Mervin Solomon||4:37|
|2.||"Seramal Ponnal"||Ko. Sesha||Mervin Solomon, Sameera Bharadwaj||5:11|
|3.||"Heartukulla"||Pa. Vijay||Nakash Aziz, Sanjana Diwakar||3:51|
|4.||"You're The One"||Ko. Sesha, Inno Genga||Inno Genga||4:23|
- "Prabhu Deva to romance Hansika in 'Gulebakavali'?". sify.com. Archived from the original on 1 August 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Hansika Is Happy To Co-Star With Prabhu Deva, Revathi In Gulebakavali - NDTV Movies". ndtv.com. 4 May 2017. Archived from the original on 1 August 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Multiple looks for Prabhu Deva and Hansika in 'Gulebakavali'". sify.com. Archived from the original on 6 January 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Prabhudheva's Tamil costume drama Gulebakavali gets face-lift after Baahubali". indianexpress.com. 31 July 2017. Archived from the original on 6 January 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Multiple looks for Prabhudheva, Hansika". The New Indian Express. 2017-08-18. Archived from the original on 2017-08-20. Retrieved 2017-08-19.
- "Prabhu Deva's 'Gulebakavali' Begins From Where MGR's Film Ended". silverscreen.in. 19 August 2017. Archived from the original on 2 March 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "TN theatrical rights".