Gulestan Rustom Billimoria
|Gulestan Rustom Billimoria|
|Born||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Occupation||Philanthropist, social worker, writer|
|Known for||Social service|
|Awards||1972 Padma Bhushan|
Gulestan Rustom Billimoria was an Indian philanthropist, social worker, writer and painter, best known for her services for the special needs children of Mumbai. She served as the Sheriff of Mumbai in 1957 and was the lady superintendent of The Alexandra Girls’ English Institution, Mumbai from 1922 to 1937.
Born Gulestan J. Bhadurjee, Billimoria did her schooling at Girton High School and college studies at St. Xavier's College, Mumbai during which period she was a fellow of the University of Mumbai for two terms and a member of the university senate. After her marriage to Rustomji Bomanji Billimoria, the founder of Bel-Air Hospital of Indian Red Cross Society and a Padma Bhushan recipient, she took over the management of the functions of the hospital. Later, she helped found the Savera Special School Gulestan And Billimoria School, Mumbai of the Maharashtra State Women's Council, an institution for the mentally and physically handicapped children.
Billimoria was a known painter and one of her paintings has been exhibited at the Prince of Wales Museum, Mumbai (present-day Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. She also wrote a number of articles on special needs children. The Government of India awarded her the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award, in 1972. Gulestan and Rustom Billimoria Endowment Lecture is an annual event organized in her honor.
- C. Roberts (1939). What India Thinks: Being a Symposium of Thought Contributed by 50 Eminent Men and Women Having India's Interest at Heart. Asian Educational Services. pp. 183–. ISBN 978-81-206-1880-0.
- "Raj Bhavan Archives (A Class Files - Permanent Record)" (PDF). Rajbhavan Maharashtra. 2018-05-29. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "History". www.alexandragei.com. 2018-05-29. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Bel-Air Hospital of Indian Red Cross Society". www.belairpanchgani.org. 2018-05-29. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Maharashtra State Women's Council". Karmayog. 2018-05-29. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "The Hindu Business Line : None wants to insure them!". www.thehindubusinessline.com. January 30, 2003. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "What India Thinks: Being a Symposium of Thought Contributed by 50 Eminent Men and Women Having India's Interests at Heart". www.abebooks.com. 2018-05-29. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Padma Awards". Padma Awards. Government of India. 2018-05-17. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Playwright Ramu Ramanathan To Speak At The 20th Gulestan And Rustom Billimoria Endowment Lecture: 'Four Plays And The City'". Mumbai Theatre Guide. December 21, 2017. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- What India thinks : being a symposium of thought contributed by 50 eminent men and women having India's interest at heart. New Delhi: Asian Educational Services. 2004. ISBN 8120618807. OCLC 56367767.
- "Savera Special School Gulestan And Billimoria School in Fort,Mumbai". www.nonprofitorganizations.in. 2018-05-29. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Top Schools For Physically Challenged In Mumbai - Top Ranker 4 U In 2018". Top Ranker 4 U In 2018. 2017-07-09. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
|This Indian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|