Gulf and Fraser Fishermen's Credit Union
|Headquarters||Burnaby, British Columbia|
|Jeff Shewfelt - Co-CEO |
Bill Kiss - Co-CEO
|Revenue||$47.26 million CAD (2018) |
|$10.36 million CAD (2018) |
|Total assets||$2.06 billion CAD (2018) |
|Subsidiaries||Gulf and Fraser Insurance Services Ltd.|
Gulf and Fraser Fishermen's Credit Union operating as G&F Financial Group is a member-owned financial institution in Burnaby, British Columbia and the ninth largest credit union in British Columbia, by asset size. With a history dating back to 1936, G&F Financial Group provides banking and a variety of financial services including borrowing, investments and financial planning. It is insured by the Credit Union Deposit Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.
G&F Financial Group's history extends back to one of the first credit unions in BC—Common Good Co-Operative Association located in South Burnaby in 1936. Since that time, the credit union has gone through a number of mergers and name changes—the most significant occurring in 2004 when United Savings Credit Union (formerly known as Civic Employee's Credit Union), United Services Credit Union, Burnaby Savings Credit Union, Pioneer Credit Union and Allied Savings Credit Union, merged with G&F Financial Group. As of July 2019, the combined entity has 16 branches located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey, Port Coquitlam, Richmond, and Langley.
The head office is located in the Edmonds area of Burnaby.
The following is an incomplete list of previous credit unions that form part of G&F Financial Group's history (either through name changes, mergers, or buyouts):
- North Arm Fisherman's Credit Union
- Lower Fraser Fishermen's Credit Union
- Common Good Co-Operative Association
- Pioneer Credit Union
- C.E.F.U. #28 Credit Union
- Civic Employees Credit Union
- United Services Credit Union
- Mount Pleasant Credit Union
- Burnaby Savings Credit Union
- Allied Savings Credit Union
- United Savings Credit Union
- Burlington Northern Credit Union
- Sheet Metal Workers Credit Union
- Elco Credit Union (BC Hydro Employees)
As with most member-driven credit unions, G&F Financial Group has a long history of supporting the communities that they serve. In addition to financial donations, G&F Financial Group encourages staff involvement within the communities that they operate.
On June 2, 2019, G&F Financial Group presented a cheque for $26,000 to BC Children's Hospital Foundation during their Miracle Weekend event. G&F employees raised funds for the Foundation through a variety of events, including 50/50 draws, Jeans Day, music trivia, sports jersey draws, Bingo games, and by selling Purdy’s chocolates. “Superhero” employees in each corporate department and branch put extra effort into encouraging their co-workers to participate in the fundraising activities.
On January 8, 2019, G&F Financial Group announced it had donated $54,000 to the United Way of the Lower Mainland. Funds will go towards the welfare of children and breaking the cycle of poverty. Over the lifetime of G&F's campaign, the credit union has donated close to $880,000 to the United Way of the Lower Mainland.
In 2018, G&F Financial Group invested $532,000 back into the communities that it serves, distributed in the form of donations, sponsorships, educational bursaries, scholarships and through the G&F Financial Group Foundation. 
On September 20, 2018, G&F Financial Group announced it had donated $100,000 to the Richmond Hospital Foundation. The funds will support the foundation's ACT NOW campaign to build a much-needed acute care tower. The funds were raised through two events held by the credit union: a special retirement dinner and their annual charity golf tournament.
On November 2, 2011, the South Burnaby Branch of G&F Financial Group was the winner of the Burnaby Board of Trade's Business Excellence Community Spirit Award. The award recognizes local organizations for demonstrating outstanding corporate social responsibility and for the strong support of local non-profit organizations and agencies.
On October 5, 2011, G&F Financial Group presented SOS Children's Village of British Columbia with a contribution cheque for $45,100 as proceeds from its Charity Golf Tournament and Raffle. The credit union had been in a 3-year partnership with the charity, raising over $89,000 for SOS BC since 2009.
- Popular Grammy-nominated singer, Michael Bublé is the son of one of G&F Financial Group's Directors.
- One of the first credit unions chartered in British Columbia through a previous merger with Pioneer Credit Union (charter number 003).
- G&F Financial Group 2018 Annual Report
- Canadian Credit Union Association: Largest 100 Credit Unions Q4 2018
- G&F Financial Group Press Release, June 14, 2019
- G&F Financial Group Press Release, January 8, 2019
- G&F Financial Group 2018 Annual Report
- G&F Financial Group Press Release, September 20, 2018
- Janaya Fuller-Evans. "Burnaby Business Excellence Award winners announced". Burnabynow.com. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "A lift for health: G&F Financial Group Foundation helps stroke patients", Langley Memorial Hospital Foundation, December 9, 2018
- "Fishers collectively cast financial nets for 77 years", Richmond Sentinel, February 16, 2018
- "Movers & Shakers: G&F supports Justice Institute of B.C.", Burnaby Now, December 8, 2016
- "Trusting your first instinct is the key to success", BC Business, July 30, 2014
- "G&F gets nod from trade board", Burnaby Now, October 12, 2012
- Vote Caps Local Credit Union Merger, Columbia Journal, March 2004
- G&F Financial Group Website