|Alternative names||rose petal jam|
|Course||consumed mainly after having meals, owing to its nature of firing the digestion|
|Region or state||Indian Subcontinent|
|Main ingredients||Rose petals, sugar|
|Variations||can be made with either jaggery(traditional uncentrifuged cane sugar)|
|Cookbook: Gulkand Media: Gulkand|
Gulkand, or Gulqand (Persian: گل قند, Urdu: گلقند, Hindi: गुलक़न्द), is a sweet preserve of rose petals from Indian Subcontinent. Gul means flower in both Persian and Urdu and drivers from their ancestors language Sanskrit term ful or pushpa meaning flower; whereas qand means sweet in Persian. In Turkish it is known as Gül Reçeli.
Damask rose petals and sugar are placed in layers in a wide-mouthed airtight glass jar. The jar is exposed to sunlight for 6 hours per day for around 3 to 4 weeks. On alternate days, the contents of the jar are stirred with a wooden stick. When the process is complete, the gulkand is kept indoors in a tightly sealed container.
Benefits and uses
 Gulkand is an Ayurvedic tonic. The National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine provides a list of the benefits obtained from eating gulkand. This includes reduction of pitta and heat in the body, a reduction in eye inflammation and redness, strengthening of the teeth and gums, and the treatment of acidity.Gulkand has cooling properties, thus it is beneficial in alleviating all heat related problems like tiredness, lethargy, itching, aches and pains. It also helps in reducing burning sensations in the soles and palms.
• Gulkand is a powerful antioxidant and a very good rejuvenator.
• Consuming 1 – 2 teaspoons of gulkand helps to reduce acidity and stomach heat. It also helps in treating ulcers and prevents swelling in the intestine.
• Gulkand helps to treat mouth ulcers, strengthens teeth and gums.
• It can be used to treat dysmenorrhoea and is effective in relieving menstrual pain. It is also helpful in treating excessive white discharge problem.
• A very good digestive tonic – helps to improve appetite, improves digestion and corrects digestive problems.
• Gulkand helps to remove toxins from the body and purifies blood. Thus, it helps in giving a clear complexion and prevents the occurrence of various skin problems such as acne, boils, whiteheads etc.
• Helps to reduce excessive perspiration and foul body odour.
• Having two teaspoons of gulkand before venturing outdoors can help prevent sunstroke and may reduce nostril-bleeding.
• It is good for all those individuals who have water retention problem, as it helps in increasing urine output.
• It has a calming effect on the nervous system, thus helps in reducing stress.
- "Ayurvedic Home Remedies: Top 11 Health Benefits of Gulkand (Rose-Petal Jam)". Healthmeup.com.
- Gulkand: Nature's Coolant, published on the website of the National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine. Retrieved February 2, 2008.