Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Subject||Science, Biology, Anatomy|
|Publisher||W. W. Norton & Company|
- Maslin, Janet (April 4, 2013). Food and You, From One End to the Other. Books of the Times (The New York Times). Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Publishers Weekly. (January 21, 2013) Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal Starred Review (Publishers Weekly.) Retrieved June 1, 2013.
The book covers 17 topics:[note 1]
- Nose Job: Tasting has little to do with taste
- I'll Have the Putrescine: Your pet is not like you.
- Liver and Opinions: Why we eat what we eat and despise the rest
- The Longest Meal: Can thorough chewing lower the national debt?
- Hard to Stomach: The acid relationship of William Beaumont and Alexis St. Martin.
- Spit Gets a Polish: Someone ought to bottle the stuff
- A Bolus of Cherries: Life at the oral processing lab
- Big Gulp: How to survive being swallowed alive
- Dinner's Revenge: Can the eaten eat back?
- Stuffed: The science of eating yourself to death
- Up Theirs: The alimentary canal as criminal accomplice
- Inflammable You: Fun with hydrogen and methane
- Dead Man's Bloat: And other diverting tales from the history of flatulence research.
- Smelling a Rat: Does noxious flatus do more than clear a room?
- Eating Backward: Is the digestive tract a two-way street?
- I'm All Stopped Up: Elvis Presley's megacolon, and other ruminations on death by constipation.
- The Ick Factor: We can cure you, but there's just one thing
- For each topic the author provides about 5-25 source references.
- Wentworth, Kenneth L. "The Effect of a Native Mexican Diet on Learning and Reasoning in White Rats." Journal of Comparative Psychology 22 (2): 255-267 (October 1936).
- Beaumont, William. Experiments and Observations on the Gastric Juice, and the Physiology of Digestion. Edinburgh: Maclachlan and Stewart, 1838.
- Beazell, J.M., and A. C. Ivy. "The Quality of Colonic Flatus Excreted by the 'Normal' Individual." American Journal of Digestive Diseases 8 (4): 128-132 (1941).
- Nichopoulos, George (with Rose Clayton Phillips). The King and Dr. Nick: What Really Happened to Elvis and Me. Nashville, Tenn.: Thomas Nelson, 2009.