Gulshan Thana (By towns)
|Wards||72, 73, 74|
|Parliamentary Seat||Dhaka 17 (Gulshan-Dhaka Cantonment-Baridhara and major portions of Wards 15 and 20)|
|Coordinates||23°48' N, 90°25' E|
|RAB Area||RAB 1|
Gulshan lake view (2005)
|Population||28,1337 (Density 5250/km²)*|
|HQ||Gulshan Circle 2|
|Neighboring Thanas||Kafrul, Badda, Tejgaon, Khilgaon, Dhaka Cantonment*|
|Website||DMP Map of Gulshan Thana|
|* Bangladesh National Census Data, 1991|
Gulshan (Bengali: গুলশান) is an affluent neighbourhood in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. A residential area, Gulshan is now home to a number of the city's restaurants, shopping centres, schools and members' clubs. The neighbourhood also hosts the majority of embassies and high commissions in Dhaka.
Gulshan was founded as a planned model town in 1961 with its own Pourashabha (municipal corporation), while the neighbouring Banani Model Town was founded in 1964. Gulshan Thana was established in 1972. Gulshan Pourashabha was abolished in 1982. In 1984, Gulshan, along with Mirpur municipality, was absorbed into Dhaka.
The area was originally built with the purpose of being solely residential, however, over the years many commercial buildings have been set up.Gulshan is now a mix of a serene residential area and also a city centre with shopping malls and commercial buildings.The Gulshan city centre only consists of Gulshan,Baridhara and Banani.Only the Gulshan Thana has Mohakhali.
The Gulshan Thana comprises an area of 53.59 km², consisting of three wards (72, 73 and 74), 37 mouzas and 20 villages, including Gulshan Model Town, consisting of Gulshan circle 1 and circle 2, Banani Model Town, Baridhara Diplomatic Zone, and Mohakhali. 50% of the area is residential, 20% commercial, and 12% is diplomatic area. 18% land in Gulshan consists of other areas, including slums, of which the biggest is the Karail slum. Apart from the urban areas, the 37 mouzas of Gulshan Thana also contain 20 villages.
Gulshan is a commercial and residential area, originally meant for offices and embassies of diplomatic missions, as well as residences. The area has seen an upsurge, since mid-1990s, in the number of high-rise buildings, restaurants, residential areas, modern markets and ice-cream parlors which are open past midnight. The independent houses of the early 1970s that stood far from each other in Gulshan area have vanished because of the commercial boom, to the point of old residents claiming it is not a residential area any more.
Though Gulshan, Banani and Baridhara, as well as Uttara and other satellite towns like Bashundhara are relatively on higher lands, substantial part the Gulshan Thana area remained under water for a prolonged duration during the 1998 Bangladesh floods. Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (DWASA) conducted a survey to investigate the causes of and remedial measures in 1998 with particular focus on the Gulshan Lake and the Gulshan and Banani canals. Flood water runoff flows into these water bodies practically turning these into buffer flood control reservoirs, except some pockets of transient water-logging. Drains and sewerage pipes dumping wastes in the Gulshan lake has been identified as major pollution problem by DWASA. The malodorous wastes tend to spill over when the roads are flooded.
As per 1991 Bangladesh census, Gulshan had a population of 281,337. Many of Dhaka's richest reside here. 21.59% of residents are occupied with commerce, while 40.92% are service professionals. Average literacy rate of the area is 59.7% for people over the age of 47 against the national average . 93.65% of the Gulshan population are Muslims.
Thoroughfares in the area are beautified by major cellphone companies of Bangladesh. There are 25 mosques in this area, including Gulshan Azad Mosque and Banani Bazaar Mosque. The area features a number of churches and Christian missions, including that of the Missionaries of Charity.
|International brand stores in Gulshan|
|Food: Baskin-Robbins • Mövenpick • Pizza Hut • Coffee World • A&W • Wimpy •• Kenny Rogers Roasters • KFC • Gloria Jean's Coffees • Nando's • New Zealand Natural etc.|
|Clothes: Levi's • Dockers • Nike • Reebok • United Colors of Benetton • Uniqlo • Gucci • Adidas • Hush Puppies and many other international stores|
|Cars: BMW • Mercedes-Benz • Volvo|
|Hotels: Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts • Marriott Hotels • Westin Hotels Sheraton(in 2014)|
|Others: Archies Ltd. • Hallmark • Nokia Care • Ethan Allen Interiors • Siemens • Samsonite • IKEA Samsung|
Many local and multinational companies have their local headquarters located in Gulshan, including Nokia, Grameenphone, Banglalink, Augere, Standard Chartered Bank, P&G, GSK, Reckitt Benckiser, Siemens, Nokia Siemens Networks, Sony Ericsson, Ericsson, Coca Cola and Pepsi.
There are some 45 boutiques, markets, bazaars and shopping centres in Gulshan. There also are mega-stores such as Nandan, Agora, Aarong, Unimart,Meena Baazar and Lavender.There are also many shopping mall like Shopper's World, Pink City and the ABC Shopping Complex. A plethora of food, bank and fashion outlets are located all over the area.
The area hosts a number of private clubs. While the Gulshan Club and International Club have their own policies, most of the rest are sponsored by the various diplomatic missions. These include the American Recreation Association (American Club), the Canadian Club, the Dutch Club, the Australian Club (membership also available to New Zealanders), the Nordic Club (membership available to citizens of Scandinavian countries) and the German Club (membership available to EU citizens). The BAGHA (British Aid Guest House Association) Club falls under the British High Commission umbrella and also accepts membership from EU citizens.  While it is not a club as such, the quarters of the American Embassy's Marine Guard unit maintains a small private bar.
The headquarters of ICDDR,B is in Mahakhali. Gulshan Mother and Child Clinic (Gulshan Maa O Shishu Clinic), Gulshan Group Clinic, Retina and Eye Center, DNS Diagnostics and Telemedicine, Sikder's Women's Hospital, Ear Care Center, and Balaka Pharmacy are in Gulshan Model Town. The Dental Studio, Sarah Dental Clinic, and Johnson's Dental Clinic are in Banani Model Town. The Apollo Hospital is in Bashundhara. There also Japan Bangladesh Friendship Hospital in Gulshan, Aysha Memorial Specialized Hospital and Life Line in Mohakhali, and Nova Medical Center, Peerless Diagnistic & Treatment Centre and Prince Medical Center in Banani. There also Midway Clinic, Adventist Dental Clinic, Modern Clinic & Blood Center and Shifa Pharmacy in Gulshan, Christian Medical Hospital in Baridhara, and Metropolitan Medical Center and Marie Stopes Clinic in Mohakhali.
| style="width:50%; text-align:left; vertical-align:top;" |
- Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Australian High Commission
- Embassy of the Kingdom of Belgium
- Royal Bhutanese Embassy
- Canadian High Commission
- Embassy of the People's Republic of China
- Royal Danish Embassy
- Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt
- Embassy of the Republic of France
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Embassy of the Republic of Hungary
- Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
- Embassy of the Republic of Italy
- Embassy of the State of Kuwait
- The People's Bureau of the Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
- Malaysian High Commission
- Embassy of the Union of Myanmar
- Royal Netherlands Embassy
- Royal Norwegian Embassy
- High Commission for the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
| style="text-align: left; vertical-align: top; " |
- Embassy of the State of Palestine
- Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines
- Embassy of the Republic of Poland
- Embassy of the State of Qatar
- Embassy of the Russian Federation
- Embassy of Romania
- Embassy of Saudi Arabia
- Office of the Saudi Military Attache
- Dawa Office, The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia
- Consulate of the Republic of Singapore
- The High Commission of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- Embassy of Sweden
- Royal Thai Embassy
- Embassy of the Republic of Turkey
- Embassy of the United Arab Emirates
- British High Commission
- Embassy of the United States of America
- Consular Agency of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Delegation of the European Commission
- American International University-Bangladesh
- Atish Dipankar University of Science and Technology
- BRAC University
- East West University
- Northern University Bangladesh
- North South University
- Independent University, Bangladesh
- Manarat International University
- Presidency University
- Prime Asia University
- Queens University (Bangladesh)
- Royal University of Dhaka
- South East University
- University of Information Technology & Sciences
Footnotes and references
- Islam, Kajalie Shehreen (16 June 2004). "The Death of Dhaka's Posh Spots". Daily Star. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Khan, Imran H. (10 August 2003). "Through the Windscreen". Daily Star. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Jail for Bangladeshi businessman, BBC, 7 June 2007; Retrieved: 2007-12-16
- Syed Shabbir Ahmed (2012). "Gulshan Thana". In Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Ghafur, Shayer (21 April 2006). "The Future of Gulshan South Park". Daily Star. Retrieved 2006-11-15.
- Syed Ali Mortuza, Rural-urban Migration in Bangladesh: Causes and Effects, page 59, Dietrich Reimer, Berlin 1992
- Flood Study for Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara, Institute of Water Modelling (IWM), Bangladesh; Retrieved: 2007-12-14
- Prof Mustafizur Rahman Tarafdar, Floods, rains and Dhaka city drainage, The Daily Star, 2007-12-14, Environment; Retrieved: 2007-12-14
- City Correspondent (13 October 2003). "Relocating Gulshan drains to reduce lake pollution". Daily Star. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Rahman, Avik Sanwar (20 October 2003). "Wading through sewage in a posh area". Daily Star. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- "Population Census Wing, BBS.". Archived from the original on 27 March 2005. Retrieved 10 November 2006.
- Male 55.22%; female 44.78%
- Sadique, Mahfuz (4 February 2005). "Dhaka's facelift: Untamed beauty". New Age. Retrieved 2007-04-17.
- "Entertainment". Tourist Attractions. Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. Retrieved 2007-08-20.
- Official Site of American Club, Dhaka
- Geocities: BAGHA Club
- Westin, Dhaka at Yahoo Travels; Retrieved: 2007-12-14
- See Home Page of ICDDRB
- Local Health Care Providers, American International School, Dhaka; Retrieved: 2007-12-14
- Medical directory, TimeMachine.com; Retrieved: 2007-12-14
- Medical services, BisnessInfo Bangladesh; Retrieved: 2007-12-14
- Ward 19, Prothom Alo (Bengali)