Gumrah (1993 film)
|Directed by||Mahesh Bhatt|
|Produced by||Yash Johar|
|Edited by||Sanjay Sankla|
|3 August 1993|
|Budget||₹200 million (US$2.9 million)|
|Box office||₹545 million (US$8.0 million)|
The sound track for the film was the second successive hit (after Khalnayak) for the music direction duo Laxmikant-Pyarelal.  When it screened in Nigeria, it is remarked that audiences loved and knew the film. "They cheered at tense points, thumping their seats and stamping their feet. At other points they mimicked dialogue and shouted out responses to the heroes and villains the film was also well received at the Indian box office and was the seventh highest grossing Hindi film of 1993."
Roshni (Sridevi) is the only child of Sharda Chhadha (Reema Lagoo). Her father, Prakash Chhadha (Anupam Kher), left before she was born and she has no knowledge of where he went. Roshni is introduced to Rahul Malhotra (Rahul Roy) and they share a mutual attraction. When he learns that she is an aspiring singer, he assists in her career so she becomes popular. She has a devoted fan named Jaggannath alias Jaggu (Sanjay Dutt), who is a petty thief. He is in love with her but she rejects him. During a trip she and Rahul had taken to Hong Kong, she is arrested for trafficking cocaine and Rahul disappears. Jaggu brings an attorney, but she is quickly found guilty and sentenced to death. Jaggu visits the prison and runs afoul of two guards, themselves lovers, who beat him in front of Roshni. The attorney works to help them escape. A fight ensues between Roshni and the female guard in which the latter is killed. The warden intervenes and is killed by Jaggu. They escape and return to India. At the airport Prakash is questioned by the police and Roshni learns that he is her father, and that he had fled the country years earlier when he has been wrongfully accused of treason. Later at Rahul's house, Rahul admits that he had been dealing with drugs that resulted in Roshni's arrest. She slaps him for deceiving her and ends their relationship. With Prakash's blessings, Roshni and Jaggu get married.
- Sanjay Dutt as Jagan Nath (Jaggu)
- Sridevi as Roshni Chadha
- Anupam Kher as Prakash Chadha
- Rahul Roy as Rahul Malhotra
- Soni Razdan as Deathrow inmate
- Reema Lagoo as Sharda Chadha
- Tom Alter as Inspector Phillip
- Bob Christo as Male cop in Hong Kong
- Laxmikant Berde as Pakya
- Kamini Kaushal as Sharda's mom
- Kunika as Female cop in Hong Kong
- Anang Desai as Ahuja
|1||"Main Tera Ashiq Hoon"||Roop Kumar Rathod|
|2||"Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar"||Talat Aziz, Kavita Krishnamurthy|
|3||"Yeh Hai Sharabkhana"||Asha Bhosle|
|4||"Duniya Kismat Aur Khuda"||Roop Kumar Rathod|
|5||"Tere Pyar Ko Salam O Sanam"||Alka Yagnik|
|6||"Ram Kasam Mera Bada Naam Ho Gaya"||Vinod Rathod|
- "Gumrah— 18 May 5 p.m.". Screen Weekly. 16 May 2003. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "Cine blitz". Cine Blitz (Blitz Publications) 19: 98. 1993. ISSN 0971-9970. OCLC 18389308.
- "Title Track". Screen India. 8 September 2006. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- Larkin, Brian (2008). Signal and noise: media, infrastructure, and urban culture in Nigeria (illustrated ed.). Duke University Press. pp. 146–147. ISBN 0-8223-4108-5. OCLC 9780822341086.