Gun Hill Road (IRT White Plains Road Line)
|Gun Hill Road
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
The Gun Hill Road station platform in April 2015.
|Address||East Gun Hill Road & White Plains Road
Bronx, NY 10467
|Line||IRT White Plains Road Line
IRT Third Avenue Line (formerly)
|Services||2 (all times)
5 (rush hours, peak direction)
|Transit connections|| NYCT Bus: Bx28, Bx30, Bx38, Bx39, Bx41, Bx41 SBS
MTA Bus: BxM11
Metro-North: Harlem Line (at Williams Bridge)
|Levels||2 (lower level abandoned)|
|Platforms||2 island platforms
|Opened||March 3, 1917
October 4, 1920 (lower level)
|Closed||April 29, 1973(lower level)|
|Passengers (2015)||2,449,555 1.1%|
|Rank||198 out of 425|
|Next north||219th Street (local): 2 5
Wakefield–241st Street (express): no regular service
|Next south||Burke Avenue (local): 2 5
East 180th Street (express): no regular service
210th Street–Williamsbridge (3rd Ave. local; demolished)
Fordham Road–190th Street (3rd Ave. express; demolished)
|Next north||233rd Street: 2 5|
|Next south||Pelham Parkway: 2 5|
Gun Hill Road is an express station on the IRT White Plains Road Line of the New York City Subway. Located in the Bronx at the intersection of Gun Hill and White Plains Roads, it is served by the 2 train at all times while the 5 train provides additional rush hour service in the peak direction.
This station was opened along with the section of the IRT White Plains Road Line from East 177th Street–East Tremont Avenue to East 219th Street–White Plains Road on March 3, 1917, providing access to rapid transit service to the communities of Williamsbridge and Wakefield in the Bronx. Service on the new portion of the line was operated as a four-car shuttle from 177th Street due to the power conditions at the time.
|Southbound local||← toward Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College (Burke Avenue)
← toward Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College (AM rush) (Burke Avenue)
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Peak-direction express||→ No regular service
(No service: Wakefield–241st Street (north) or East 180th Street (south))
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Northbound local||→ toward Wakefield–241st Street (219th Street) →
→ toward Nereid Avenue (PM rush) (219th Street) →
|1F||Mezzanine||Fare control, station agent, former Third Avenue El platform
(Elevator inside main entrance in White Plains Road median between Gun Hill Road and 211th Street)
|G||Street Level||Exit/ Entrance|
This station opened on March 3, 1917 as a bi-level station, for IRT White Plains Road Line subway service. The upper level has always been used and the lower level was used by the IRT Third Avenue Line from October 4, 1920 to April 29, 1973. The upper level has three tracks and two island platforms, while the lower level had two tracks and one wide island platform. North of the station, the lower level tracks rose and joined, making a five track line for a short distance. From west to east, they were as follows: main southbound local, Third Avenue southbound, main center express, Third Avenue northbound, main northbound local.
The station's only exit is at a street-level station house at the north side of Gun Hill Road in the median of White Plains Road. A refurbishing project in 2004–2006 removed the Third Avenue el level and upgraded the station with the new station house at street level. The original station house was one short block north at East 211th Street. New escalators and elevators now make this station ADA-accessible.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Neighborhood Map Pelham Parkway Olinville Pelham Gardens Morris Park" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- "2 Subway Timetable, Effective November 7, 2016" (PDF). New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "5 Subway Timetable, Effective November 7, 2016" (PDF). New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Annual report. 1916-1917.". HathiTrust. Interborough Rapid Transit Company. 2013-12-12. Retrieved 2016-09-05.
- "New Subway Line Opened: White Plains Extension is Now Running to 238th Street". New York Times. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "WHITE PLAINS ROAD EXTENSION OF SUBWAY OPENED TO THE PUBLIC; New Branch, Which Runs from 177th to 219th Street, Gives the Williamsbridge and Wakefield Sections of the East Bronx Rapid Transit for the First Time". The New York Times. March 4, 1917.
- Fischler, Stan (1997). The Subway: A Trip Through Time on New York's Rapid Transit. Flushing, NY: H&M Productions. pp. 245–249. ISBN 1-882608-19-4.
- Marrero, Robert (2017-01-01). "472 Stations, 850 Miles" (PDF). B24 Blog, via Dropbox. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Pelham Parkway" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gun Hill Road (IRT White Plains Road Line).|
- nycsubway.org – IRT White Plains Road Line: Gun Hill Road
- nycsubway.org – Mi Sol, Mi Planeta, Mi Ciudad (My Sun, My Planet, My City): Artwork by Andrea Arroyo (2006)
- nycsubway.org – IRT 3rd Avenue El: Gun Hill Road
- nycsubway.org – IRT 3rd Avenue El:
- The Subway Nut — Gun Hill Road Pictures
- Station Reporter — 2 Train
- Station Reporter — 3rd Avenue Local
- MTA's Arts For Transit — Gun Hill Road (IRT White Plains Road Line)
- Gun Hill Road entrance from Google Maps Street View