Gun laws in Louisiana
|Subject/Law||Long Guns||Handguns||Relevant Statutes||Notes|
|State permit required to purchase?||No||No|
|Owner license required?||No||No|
|Permit required for concealed carry?||N/A||Yes||LRS 40:1379.3||Louisiana is a "shall issue" state for concealed carry.|
|Permit required for open carry?||No||No||Open carry is generally permitted without a license, but may be restricted by local governments with laws in place before July 15, 1985.|
|State preemption of local restrictions?||Yes||Yes||Local restrictions in place before July 15, 1985 are grandfathered in. Parishes may regulate hunting and the shooting of firearms.|
|Assault weapon law?||No||No|
|Magazine Capacity Restriction?||No||No|
|NFA weapons restricted?||No||No||Federal rules observed.|
|Background checks required for private sales?||No||No|
Louisiana is a "shall issue" state for concealed carry. The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall issue a concealed handgun permit to qualified applicants, after performing an NICS background check and giving the local police 10 days to provide additional information about the applicant. An applicant must demonstrate handgun proficiency by taking a training course from an approved instructor, or by having been trained while serving in the military. Concealed carry is not permitted in any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a class A-General retail permit, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or in any place of worship, government meeting place, courthouse, police station, polling place, parade, or in certain other locations.
Open carry of firearms in Louisiana is permitted without a permit, as long as the user is of at least 17 years of age and legally able to possess a firearm under state and federal law.
Louisiana has state preemption of firearms laws, except for local laws passed before July 15, 1985. Government bodies other than the state may not sue firearms manufacturers, dealers, or trade associations for damages that are the result of lawful activities.
- "State Gun Laws: Louisiana", National Rifle Association – Institute for Legislative Action. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "Louisiana State Law Summary", Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "Louisiana State Police – Concealed Handgun Permit Unit". Lsp.org. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- Louisiana Concealed Carry CCW Laws and Information on concealedcarry.net Archived September 4, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit Information on". Usacarry.com. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- La. R.S. 14:95.8