Gunnar von Heijne
|Gunnar von Heijne|
Gunnar von Heijne at ISMB in 2012
Nils Gunnar Hansson von Heijne|
10 June 1951
Björkénska priset (1998)|
Accomplishment by a Senior Scientist Award
|Fields||Royal Institute of Technology|
|Institutions||Stockholm University, Karolinska Institutet|
Professor Nils Gunnar Hansson von Heijne, born 10 June 1951 in Gothenburg, is a Swedish scientist working on signal peptides, membrane proteins and bioinformatics at the Stockholm Center for Biomembrane Research at Stockholm University.
Gunnar von Heijne graduated 1975 with a Master of Science degree in chemistry and chemical engineering from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH). He then became a doctoral student in theoretical physics at KTH, in a research group focussing on statistical mechanics and theoretical biophysics, and was awarded his Ph.D. in 1980. In 1983 he was made docent in theoretical biophysics at KTH, where he remained until 1988. 1982-1985 he was active as a science reporter at Sveriges Radio. 1989-1994 he was active at Karolinska Institutet, and in 1994 he was made a professor in theoretical chemistry at Stockholm University.
von Heijne's research primarily concerns membrane proteins, and he is one of the most cited Swedish scientists in the areas of biochemistry and molecular biology. He heads the Center for Biomembrane Research at Stockholm University.
von Heijne is a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences since 1997 and a member of the Nobel Committee for Chemistry from 2001 to 2009, and the Committees chairman from 2007 to 2009. In 2008, he received an honorary doctorate at Åbo Akademi.
- Mullins, J.; Morrison Mckay, B. J. (2012). "International Society for Computational Biology Honours Gunnar von Heijne and Ziv Bar-Joseph with Top Bioinformatics/Computational Biology Awards for 2012". PLoS Computational Biology. 8 (5): e1002535. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002535.
- https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=saY_ivoAAAAJ Gunnar von Heijne publications in Google Scholar
- Emanuelsson, O.; Nielsen, H.; Brunak, S. R.; Von Heijne, G. (2000). "Predicting Subcellular Localization of Proteins Based on their N-terminal Amino Acid Sequence". Journal of Molecular Biology. 300 (4): 1005–1016. doi:10.1006/jmbi.2000.3903. PMID 10891285.
- Nielsen, H.; Engelbrecht, J.; Brunak, S.; Von Heijne, G. (1997). "Identification of prokaryotic and eukaryotic signal peptides and prediction of their cleavage sites". Protein Engineering Design and Selection. 10: 1–6. doi:10.1093/protein/10.1.1. PMID 9051728.
- Krogh, A.; Larsson, B. R.; Von Heijne, G.; Sonnhammer, E. L. L. (2001). "Predicting transmembrane protein topology with a hidden markov model: Application to complete genomes". Journal of Molecular Biology. 305 (3): 567–580. doi:10.1006/jmbi.2000.4315. PMID 11152613.
- Dyrløv Bendtsen, J.; Nielsen, H.; Von Heijne, G.; Brunak, S. (2004). "Improved Prediction of Signal Peptides: SignalP 3.0". Journal of Molecular Biology. 340 (4): 783–795. doi:10.1016/j.jmb.2004.05.028. PMID 15223320.
- Von Heijne, G. (1986). "A new method for predicting signal sequence cleavage sites". Nucleic Acids Research. 14 (11): 4683–4690. doi:10.1093/nar/14.11.4683. PMC . PMID 3714490.
- Gunnar von Heijne's CV Archived 2008-12-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Heijne, Gunnar von (1980): Some theoretical aspects of the structure, function and evolution of biological macromolecules, Diss., Stockholm
- Press release from Åbo Akademi: Åbo Akademi kreerar fjorton nya hedersdoktorer (in Swedish)
- Stockholm Center for Biomembrane Research Archived 2009-09-17 at the Wayback Machine., accessed on August 3, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gunnar von Heijne.|