Gunpowder & Lead
|"Gunpowder & Lead"|
|Single by Miranda Lambert|
|from the album Crazy Ex-Girlfriend|
|Released||January 14, 2008|
|Miranda Lambert singles chronology|
"Gunpowder & Lead" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Miranda Lambert. It was released in January 2008 as the third single from her album Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The album's third single, it became Lambert's first Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs in July 2008. With over 1,000,000 digital downloads, "Gunpowder & Lead" was certified Platinum by the RIAA on December 3, 2010. The song was written by Lambert and Heather Little.
The song was made available as downloadable content for the game Rock Band on December 16, 2008.
The song is a moderate up-tempo song in the key of G Dorian backed by electric guitar. Its lyrics focus on the narrator, who tells of her plans to shoot her abusive husband once he is let out of jail.
The radio edit omits sound effects which are heard on the album version: door slowly creaking open at the beginning, and the sound of a gunshot at the end with the sound of the door slowly creaking closed.
The song has been compared to "Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks and "Independence Day" by Martina McBride, both of which feature abused wives killing their husbands as well. According to Lambert, the song's storyline was inspired by a point in her life when her parents would take abuse victims into their home, and she had to share her bedroom with a mother and daughter.
The song received a "thumbs up" from Engine 145 reviewer Matt C. He compared the song 's theme of female liberation to "Goodbye Earl" and "Independence Day", and although he said that it was also thematically similar to Lambert's previous single "Kerosene", he considered it "too well crafted to be considered purely derivative." Kevin J. Coyne of Country Universe was also positive, and gave the song an A+ rating. "The stroke of brilliance was focusing the song completely around the moment of tension: her waiting at home with a loaded shotgun, ready to defend herself after he makes bail and comes back home to finish the fight."
The music video used for "Gunpowder & Lead" is a live performance from the CMA Music Festival, in Nashville, TN.
"Gunpowder & Lead" debuted at number 51 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the chart week of January 19, 2008. The song became Lambert's first Top 10 hit; it peaked at number 7 on August 16, 2008. It has sold over 2,207,000 in the US as of November 2015.
|US Billboard Hot 100||52|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||7|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||41|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Alaina and Reinhart performed the song as a duet on the Top 4 results show of season 10, and Laine performed this song during the theme of "Their Personal Idols" on the show's eleventh season.
- "Miranda Lambert's "Gunpowder" Has Personal History". GAC. 2008-02-04. Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- "Gunpowder & Lead" review
- Country Universe: Review: Miranda Lambert, “Gunpowder & Lead”
- Bjorke, matt. "Top 10 albums chart - November 23, 2015". Roughstock. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Miranda Lambert – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Miranda Lambert. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Miranda Lambert – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Miranda Lambert. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.
- "American single certifications – Miranda Lambert – Gunpowder". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH