Ngari Gunsa Airport
|Ngari Gunsa Airport
Ālǐ Kūnshā Jīchǎng
|Location||Ngari (Ali), Tibet|
|Elevation AMSL||4,274 m / 14,022 ft|
|Ngari Gunsa Airport|
Ngari Gunsa Airport (IATA: NGQ, ICAO: ZUAL) is a dual-use military and civil airport serving the town of Shiquanhe in Ngari Prefecture, in the southwest of China's Tibet Autonomous Region near the Indian border. It started operations on 1 July 2010, becoming the fourth civil airport in Tibet after Lhasa, Nyingchi, and Qamdo airports.
Situated at 4,274 m (14,022 ft) above sea level, Gunsa Airport is the fourth highest airport in the world after Daocheng Yading Airport, Qamdo Bamda Airport, and Kangding Airport. Gunsa airport has a 4,500-meter runway. It is expected to handle 120,000 passengers by 2020. Construction began in May 2007 and cost an estimated 1.65 billion yuan (241.22 million U.S. dollars).
As Shiquanhe (Ali) is only a one-day bus drive (about 330 km) from the settlement of Darchen situated just north of Lake Mansarovar, facing Mount Kailash, it is expected to benefit pilgrims to these two sites, which are considered sacred by Hindus, Buddhists, Bonpa and Jains. With the opening of Shigatse Peace Airport in October 2010, the five airports, coupled with the Qinghai–Tibet railway and a network of roads, are expected to increase tourism to scenic and holy sites in Tibet.
Airlines and destinations
|China Eastern Airlines||Kashgar|
|Lucky Air||Kashgar, Urumqi|
- Tibet's fourth civil airport opens
- The world’s third highest airport opens with milestone Airbus A319 flight
- 西藏阿里昆莎机场迎来首航 为世界海拔第三高
- Mayhew and Kohn (2005), p. 209.
- "Pilgrims to benefit from new Tibet Airport near Mt Kailash."
- Albinia (2008), p. 288,
- Gyurme (199), p. 36.
- Albinia, Alice. (2008) Empires of the Indus: The Story of a River. First American Edition (2010) W. W. Norton & Company, New York. ISBN 978-0-393-33860-7.
- Dorje, Gyurme. (2009) Tibet Handbook. Footprint Handbooks, Bath, England. ISBN 978-1-906098-32-2.
- Mayhew, Bradley and Kohn, Michael. (2005) Tibet. 6th Edition. ISBN 1-74059-523-8.