Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge
|Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge|
|Written by||Jim Byrnes|
|Directed by||Vincent McEveety|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||94 minutes|
|Original release||September 26, 1987|
Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge is the first TV-movie based on the 20-year (1955-1975) television version of Gunsmoke starring James Arness. Although it is supposed to be set in the wilds of Kansas, it was filmed in Alberta, Canada.
Retired US Marshal Matt Dillon, now a fur trapper, is knifed by thieves, brought back to Dodge, and nursed by Kitty Russell, played by Amanda Blake. He is hunted by vengeful past nemesis; Will Mannon, who has sworn to kill Matt, and holds Kitty hostage in exchange for a final showdown.
- James Arness as Matt Dillon
- Amanda Blake as Miss Kitty Russell
- Steve Forrest as Mannon
- Buck Taylor as Newly O'Brien
- Earl Holliman as Jake Flagg
- Fran Ryan as Hannah
- W. Morgan Sheppard as Digger McCloud
Ken Curtis (Festus Haggen) turned the project down in the wake of being offered far less compensation than Amanda Blake. Blake, meanwhile, returned to the role of Miss Kitty after having left Gunsmoke prior to the original series' 20th and final season.
- James Arness: An Autobiography by James Arness, Burt Reynolds, James E. Wise, Jr.
- Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge on Internet Movie Database
|This 1980s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|