|Born||27 September 1910
|Died||12 April 1992
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic
|Years of service||1931–45|
|Commands held||U-596 13 November 1941–27 July 1943
29th U-boat Flotilla
|Awards||U-boat War Badge
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Gunter Jahn (27 September 1910 – 12 April 1992) was German U-boat commander during World War II. He was born in Hamburg, Germany and began his naval career in April 1931 as a Seekadett. He first served on the light cruiser Nürnberg for more than two years, including nine patrols in the first year of the war.
In March 1941 Jahn joined the U-boat force and his first patrol were on board U-98 in September 1941. Later in November he commissioned U-596. On his second patrol he broke through the Strait of Gibraltar and went on to become one of the most successful U-boat commanders in the Mediterranean Sea. In July 1943 he left the boat and became the commander of the 29th U-boat Flotilla. In September 1944 he fell into French captivity, where he spent nearly two years.
Summary of career
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th Class (2 October 1936)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Medaille zur Erinnerung an die Heimkerhr des Memllandes (20 December 1939)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (6 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 30 April 1943 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-596
|16 August 1942||Suecia||Sweden||SC-95||4,966||Sunk|
|20 September 1942||Empire Hartebeeste||United Kingdom||SC-100||5,676||Sunk|
|7 February 1943||HMS LCI (L) 162||Royal Navy||246||Sunk|
|9 March 1943||Empire Standard||United Kingdom||KMS-10||7,047||Damaged|
|30 March 1943||Fort Norman||United Kingdom||KMS-10||7,133||Damaged|
|30 March 1943||Fort a la Corne||United Kingdom||ET-16||7,133||Sunk|
|30 March 1943||Hallanger||Norway||ET-16||9,551||Sunk|
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 349.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 350.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 416.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945] (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Gunter Jahn". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
Korvettenkapitän Fritz Frauenheim
|Commander of the 29th U-boat Flotilla
August 1943 – September 1944
|This biographical article related to the German Navy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|