This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Eysenbach in 2009
22 March 1967 |
|Residence||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Institutions||Centre for Global eHealth Innovation|
|Known for||EHealth, Consumer health informatics|
Eysenbach was born on 22 March 1967 in Berlin, Germany. While a medical student, he served on the executive board as elected communication director, later as vice-president of the European Medical Students' Association. He received an M.D. from the University of Freiburg and a Master of Public Health from Harvard School of Public Health. From 1999 to 2002 he founded and headed a research unit on cybermedicine and ehealth at the University of Heidelberg and organized and chaired the World Congress on Internet in Medicine. In March 2002, he emigrated to Canada and since then has been senior scientist at the Centre for Global eHealth Innovation at the University Health Network (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), and associate professor in the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation at the University of Toronto.
Eysenbach works in the field of consumer health informatics. He has written several books and articles, and organizes conferences. He is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Medical Internet Research. From 2000-2008, he served as working group chair for the WG Consumer Health Informatics of the International Medical Informatics Association.
Other contributions include:
- Initiator, organizer, and chair of the annual Medicine 2.0 Congress
- Eysenbach has conducted a study on the association between search engine queries and influenza incidence, which was replicated by other research groups 2–3 years later. He coined the terms "infoveillance" and "infodemiology" for these kinds of approaches.
- Eysenbach is initiator of WebCite, an archiving service for scholarly authors and editors citing webpages.
Books written or edited
- Lewis, D; Eysenbach, G; Kukafka, R; Jimison, H; Stavri, Z (eds.) (2005). Consumer Health Informatics. New York: Springer. ISBN 978-0-387-23991-0. OCLC 60413694.
- Eysenbach, G. (ed.) (1998). Medicine and Medical Education in Europe - The Eurodoctor. Stuttgart-New York: Thieme. ISBN 978-3-13-115221-3. OCLC 41647056.
- Eysenbach G, Lamers W (eds.) (1999). Praxis und Computer. (in German). Düsseldorf: Springer-Verlag/med-inform Verlagsges.
- Eysenbach, G (1994). Computer-Manual für Mediziner und Biowissenschaftler (in German). Munich-Baltimore: Urban & Schwarzenberg. ISBN 978-3-541-11841-0. OCLC 30558735.
- WebCite – an on-demand Web archiving service founded by Eysenbach
- Web site of the European Medical Students' Association. See EMSA & IFMSA at the Wayback Machine (archived May 3, 2006)
- "World Conference in Heidelberg on Medicine and the Internet" (Press release). University of Heidelberg. 1999-08-27. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- "Centre for global e-health innovation launched in Toronto by Andy Shaw". Canhealth.com. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100706040724/http://imia.org/working_groups/WG_Profile.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=CGI&-MaxRecords=1&-SkipRecords=1&-Database=organizations&-KeyField=Org_ID&-SortField=workgroup_sig&-SortOrder=ascending&type=wgsig. Archived from the original on July 6, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2016. Missing or empty
- "medicine20congress.com". medicine20congress.com. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Gunther Eysenbach (2006). "Infodemiology: tracking flu-related searches on the web for syndromic surveillance". AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings: 244–248. PMC . PMID 17238340.
- Philip M. Polgreen; Yiling Chen; David M. Pennock; Forrest D. Nelson (December 2008). "Using internet searches for influenza surveillance". Clinical Infectious Diseases. 47 (11): 1443–1448. doi:10.1086/593098. PMID 18954267.
- Jeremy Ginsberg; Matthew H. Mohebbi; Rajan S. Patel; Lynnette Brammer; Mark S. Smolinski; Larry Brilliant (February 2009). "Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data". Nature. 457 (7232): 1012–1014. doi:10.1038/nature07634. PMID 19020500.
- Gunther Eysenbach (May 2011). "Infodemiology and infoveillance tracking online health information and cyberbehavior for public health". American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 40 (5 Suppl 2): S154–S158. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2011.02.006. PMID 21521589.
- Gunther Eysenbach (2009). "Infodemiology and infoveillance: framework for an emerging set of public health informatics methods to analyze search, communication and publication behavior on the Internet". Journal of Medical Internet Research. 11 (1): e11. doi:10.2196/jmir.1157. PMC . PMID 19329408.
- Eysenbach, G; Trudel, M. "Going, Going, Still There: Using the WebCite Service to Permanently Archive Cited Web Pages - J Med Internet Res 2005;7(5):e60". Jmir.org.