This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Its principal products are the SQL relational database management system SQLBase, a mobile HTML5 enterprise development system called TD Mobile and a rapid application development system called Team Developer (also known as SQLWindows). The company is considered as the provider of the first client/server relational database software that would run on personal computers (PC), rather than mini computers.
The company was founded in 1984 by Umang Gupta, a former vice president at Oracle Corporation. Gupta's first product was SQLBase, followed by SQLWindows, which combined SQLBase with a graphical user interface and programming language for creating business applications. SQLWindows was one of the first GUI development tools for Microsoft Windows. The company went public in 1993 (NASDAQ: GPTA).
The name of the company was changed to Centura Software in the late 1990s. In February 2001 Centura was taken over by the Platinum Equity investment company. Centura Software filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in August 2001, and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission revoked the registration of Centura's common stock in December 2004. After the bankruptcy, some assets were kept by a reborn Gupta Technologies LLC. In January 2005 Gupta Technologies, LLC was bought by another investor, Warp Technology Holdings, Inc. In May 2005 the company changed its name to Halo Technology Holdings, Inc. In September 2006 the company was acquired by Unify Corporation. In June 2010 Unify announced its merger with Daegis, a US company that provides software for electronic discovery in litigation matters.
In the middle of the 1990s Gupta achieved a worldwide business volume about 60 million US Dollar with 500 employees. Since then company development has regressed. Unify employs only about 70 people, who run, apart from Gupta, a number of other lines of product and service. The overall revenue from software licences was 4.4 million US Dollar in 2007. Most clients use the Team Developer 4GL development environment with other relational databases. In the workgroup segment and in mobile applications Gupta’s own database SQLBase is used quite often. SQLBase is targeted towards small PC applications and handheld devices such as handheld PCs. Since Unify took over Gupta Technologies, many new product versions of SQLBase and Team Developer have been released.
- SQLBase 11.0, new locking and multi-user features to improve user concurrency; support for Windows Vista and Linux
- SQLBase 11.5, features a new multiprocessing cache manager and a new graphical DBA tool SQLBase Command Center
- SQLBase 11.6, support for up to 1,000 columns per table, wider char (900 characters) and nchar fields (450 characters), roles implementation, SQLBase Command Center provides new performance and database issue analysis features
- SQLBase 11.7, new Windows 64-bit server. New client drivers, network authentication and improved security features.
- Team Developer 5.1, introduces new GUI themes for applications look & feel like Office 2007, new controls like date picker and datetime picker
- Team Developer 5.2, new controls like a new grid with many new cell types, new tab control, new rich text control, report watermarks
- Team Developer 6.0, released in fall 2010, introduces a new .NET compiler, allowing for .NET WPF Desktop and WPF Browser applications
- Team Developer 6.1, released in spring 2012, introduced .NET Web Services providing, and an updated IDE that includes color-coded source code
- Team Developer 6.2, released in spring 2013, delivered 64-bit .NET applications, a programmable ribbon bar and other GUI features
- James R. Groff and Paul N. Weinberg, SQL: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, 2002 McGraw-Hill/Osborne. Appendix B
- ORDER INSTITUTING PROCEEDINGS, MAKING FINDINGS, AND REVOKING REGISTRATION OF SECURITIES PURSUANT TO SECTION 12(j) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934 Admin. Proc. File No. 3-11753
- Unify Database and Development Tools Business Changes Name to Gupta Technologies
- published financial statements
- Annual report on the Unify web site
- SQLBase 11.7
- Unify renamed to Gupta Technologies press release
- Umang Gupta as Keynote Speaker at Velocity a Web Conference
- Gupta Technologies Website (including links to product documentation)
- Order suspending trade in Gupta stock
- Large collection of Team Developer samples
- Dedicated WIKI on Team Developer and related products
- Community forum for Q & A on Team Developer and related products