Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
|Full name||Gurpreet Singh Sandhu|
|Date of birth||3 February 1992|
|Place of birth||Mohali, Punjab, India|
|Height||1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|2000–2009||St. Stephen's FA|
|2010–2011||→ Pailan Arrows (loan)||0||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:04, 23 April 2015 (UTC).
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu (born 3 February 1992 in Punjab, India) is an Indian footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Norwegian Tippeligaen club Stabæk and India. He is the first ever Indian to play a competitive match for the first team of a top division European club and the fifth Indian player to play professionally in Europe after Mohammed Salim, Baichung Bhutia, Sunil Chhetri and Subrata Pal.
Gurpreet was born on 3 February 1992 in Mohali, Punjab, India, part of the Chandigarh tri-city. Gurpreet took up the game of football at the age of 8 and joined the St. Stephen's Academy in 2000. After good performances at the St. Stephen's Academy, Gurpreet was selected for his state youth team, the Punjab U16s. He made his youth state level debut in 2006 in Haldwani. He stayed at St. Stephen's Academy till 2009 when he joined I-League side East Bengal as a youth player and spend the rest of 2009 playing for the Kolkata-based teams' youth team.
In 2010, Gurpreet officially signed a professional contract with East Bengal and made five appearances for East Bengal before the end of the 2009-10 season. For the 2010–11 season, Gurpreet was loaned out to Pailan Arrows, seeking regular game time but ended the season with no caps for Indian Arrows, as they were called then. He started the 2011-12 season as the second choice goalkeeper for East Bengal during the 2011 Federation Cup, but after the Federation Cup, Gurpreet took over as the first choice 'keeper for East Bengal's I-League campaign. He started in first game of the 2011–12 I-League campaign in their 0–1 loss to Churchill Brothers. He debuted in continental competitions in Asia on 6 March 2012 in the 2012 AFC Cup against Al-Oruba as East Bengal lost the match 0–1.
Sandhu signed for Norwegian club Stabæk on 15 August 2014. On 18 January 2015, he made his senior debut for the club in a friendly match against second-tier side Follo in a 4-1 win. Gurpreet created history by becoming the first Indian player to play a professional senior game for a top division football club in Europe when he started, and kept a clean sheet in a 6-0 win for his club against Runar on 22 April 2015 in a Norwegian Cup game.
He was then surprisingly called up to the senior Indian team squad of 23 for the 2011 AFC Asian Cup. He made his debut against Turkmenistan in a 1–1 draw. He was called up to the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier squad against Nepal but was unused in both legs. Gurpreet made his second appearance for the senior team against Iran in a 2018 World Cup qualifier at Bangalore, starting in a 0-3 defeat. He made his next appearance against Turkmenistan in a 2-1 loss on the 8th of October.
|Club||Season||League||Cup ||Other ||Continental ||Total|
|Pailan Arrows (loan)||2010–11||I-League||0||0||0||0||0||0||—||—||0||0|
- FS Sports. "Gurpreet Singh Sandu". FS Sports. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Sandhu, Gurpreet Singh (15 August 2014). "-A proud day for my country and for me as I am pleased to announce I have signed for @stabaekfc". twitter.com. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- East Bengal: The Real Power. "East Bengal signs India u-19 Goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu". East Bengal: The Real Power. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- goal.com. "East Bengal 0–1 Churchill Brothers: Opara’s First Half-Strike Enough For The Goans To Register An Away Victory". goal.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- goal.com. "East Bengal 0–1 Al Orouba: The Red and Gold pay for a defensive lapse in spite of being the superior team in both halves.He had by then became hero by saving in the tie-breaks in Super Cup and IfA Shield". goal.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Basu, Hindol. "Gurpreet Signs 3-year deal with Norwegian football club". Times of India. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Gurpreet Singh Sandhu Is The First Indian Footballer In 79 Years To Play For A Proper European Club". India Times. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Mitra, Atanu (22 April 2015). "Gurpreet Singh Sandhu makes history, earns first start for Stabaek". Goal.com. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Gurpreet Singh Sandhu debuts for Stabaek". The Indian Express. 23 April 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Vistnes, Oddbjørn (22 April 2015). "Stabæk slo vestfoldingene 6-0 i cupens første runde". Stabæk (in Norwegian). Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- the-afc.com. "AFC U19 CHAMPIONSHIP 2010 MATCH SUMMARY". the-afc.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "turkmenistan 1 india 1". soccerway. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Bera, Kaustav (2 March 2015). "Constantine selects final 26-man India shortlist for 2018 World Cup qualifier against Nepal". Goal.com.
- Gurpreet Singh Sandhu profile at Soccerway
- includes Indian Federation Cup and Norwegian Football Cup
- includes IFA Shield
- includes AFC Cup and AFC Champions League