Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
|Motto||ज्योतिर्वृणीत तमसो विजानन (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|Light of intellect cleaves the darkness|
|Vice-Chancellor||Anil Kumar Tyagi|
Dwarka, Delhi, India|
|Colours||Maroon and Blue|
|Sports||Basketball, Volleyball, Football, Badminton, Cricket|
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU or IP or IPU), formerly Indraprastha University, is a public state university located in Delhi, India. It was established in 1998 by Government of Delhi, as a teaching-cum-affiliating university. The University is recognized by University Grants Commission (India), under section 12B of the UGC Act. It has been graded 'A' by the NAAC. The medium of instruction is English to meet the international language standards.
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, Association of Indian Universities, Medical Council of India and Distance Education Council.
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University was established as Indraprastha University (IPU) on 28 March 1998 by the Govt. of NCT Delhi as a state university under the provisions of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Act, 1998 with its Amendment in 1999. The university was named after the ancient mythological city of Indraprastha, which features prominently in the epic Mahabharata. In 2001, the university was officially renamed as Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) after the tenth Sikh guru Guru Gobind Singh.
Board of management
The university is governed by a board of management, headed by the vice-chancellor and is appointed by the Government of Delhi. University has following departments which hold responsibility for administrative works related to university:
- Personnel Branch
- Planning Branch
- Store and Purchase Section
- Accounts Section
- Public Relation Office
- Academic Affairs
- Affiliation Branch
- Office of International Affairs
Schools and centres
Indraprastha University has 15 schools and 2 centers. These are the faculties of the university. All are present at either main campus (Dwarka) or Kashmere Gate campus; they are among the pioneer institutions of the university. Curriculum for these schools and centers is usually different from other affiliated institutions.
- University School of Architecture & Planning
- University School of Basic & Applied Sciences
- University School of Biotechnology
- University School of Chemical Technology
- University School of Education
- University School of Engineering & Technology
- University School of Environment Management
- University School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- University School of Information and Communication Technology
- University School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- University School of Law and Legal Studies
- University School of Life Sciences
- University School of Management Studies (MBA)
- University School of Mass Communication
- University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- University Center for Disaster Management Studies
- University Center for IT Services & Infrastructure Management
The university has its campus in Dwarka being recently shifted from Kashmere Gate. It is a new campus and spread over an area of 60 acres where a still considerable portion is under construction. On Dwarka campus, the university is running 10 schools and imparting professional education to more than 3000 graduate and post-graduate students.
Kashmere Gate campus has been solely acquired by Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology and Ambedkar University. With an aim to provide "Research and Development" facilities of international standards, the university has decided to set up an Institute of Information Technology in Surajmal Vihar, East Delhi. For this purpose it has acquired 19 acres (77,000 m2) of land on which the construction is likely to start very soon.
On-campus cultural festivals
- Anugoonj Annual cultural festival
- Poize Annual techno-cultural festival of University School of Biotechnology
- AVENSIS Annual cultural-cum-technical fest of Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Technology (MSIT)
- BAR annual cultural-cum-law fest festival of University School of Law and Legal Studies
- Nirvana Annual cultural festival of Vardhman Mahavir Medical College
- InfoXpression Annual cultural festival of the University School of Information and Communication Technology
- Neurotrix Annual technical festival of IEEE Student Branch of University School of Information and Communication Technology
- Techsurge and Mridang Annual technical and cultural fest of Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology (MAIT)
- Impulse Cultural-cum-technical festival of the IEEE-IGIT
- Tremors Cultural-cum-technical festival of the CSI-IGIT
- Exuberance Cultural festival of the University School of Management Studies
- Sanslation Annual technical festival of the University School of Chemical Technology
- FPS Film and Photography Society by University School of Mass Communication
- Innoviz Annual cultural festival of Northern India Engineering College
- Corona Annual technical and cultural fest of Bhagwan Parshuram Institute of Technology (BPIT)
- Revoluzione Annual technical and cultural fest of National Power Training Institute, Badarpur (NPTI)
- EMBLAZON Annual technical and cultural fest of HMRITM
University Information Resource Centre (Library)
The library, re-christened as University Information Resource Centre (UIRC), was established in September 1999 with the prime responsibility to supplement the education and knowledge needs of the students, researchers and its faculty members. As like other departments of university, UIRC has shifted to the Dwarka campus, but the Information Technology and Business sections are still in Kashmere Gate. The services offered by UIRC are fully computerized. It has Web OPAC system with university’s website which helps its members and international academic community to assess the information on the library holdings on-line. The centre at present serves about 4000 members.
GGSIPU was established as an affiliating and teaching university to promote studies in the emerging areas of higher education. The university runs almost 50 courses of study as diverse as engineering, technology, business management, medicine, pharmacy, nursing, education, and law. There are more than 120 colleges affiliated to it which are run according to the rules and regulation set by the university.
Admission to courses of the university are strictly done by Common Entrance Tests (CETs). The university holds 46 CETs for admissions to all of its programs. The university also holds CET for Ph.D. The candidates can apply for the IP University Form in the month of February every year. The University has helped students in Delhi to pursue professional courses in their hometown as opposed to travelling to other states for professional education.
International students and education
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University enrolls foreign students in its affiliated schools and colleges. The medium of instruction is English to meet the international language standards. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University has been qualified to be a certified and education partner with Educational Testing Services (ETS), Princeton, New Jersey, USA. The university is a certified test administrative site for internet based examination for TOEFL iBT and other ETS tests (GRE, GMAT, SAT). The university has been recognized globally with this significant achievement and by this it promotes international education. The university hosted 30 students from Laos as part of a bilateral cooperation programme on Information and Communication Technology.
Residential Student Halls
University provides hostel facility to students from outside the Delhi NCR region. There are four hostels, Shivalik and Aravali for Boys and Nilgiri and Satpura for girls.
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||101–150|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||74|
|Engineering – India|
|Business/Management – India|
The university was ranked 74 among Indian universities by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018 and in the 101–150 band overall. The University School of Engineering & Technology was ranked 85 by NIRF engineering ranking and the University School of Management Studies was ranked in the 51–75 band in the management ranking.
- "Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University". www.ipu.ac.in. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Welcome". ipuadmissions.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Members by country". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "AIU-Members". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Affiliations and Memberships". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Establishment of Affiliating University (GGSIP UNIVERSITAS)". delhi.gov.in. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Introduction to Delhi" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 November 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- "Heavy agenda for assembly session". The Hindu. Chennai, India: The Hindu. 15 December 2001. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "UNIVERSITY INFORMATION RESOURCES CENTRE". Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Courses". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- "Programs". Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Affiliated Institutes". Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "French honours for V-Cs". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 December 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Admission Criterion for International Students" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "International Affairs". Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University to host students from Laos". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 11 July 2007. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.|