Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
|गुरु गोबिंद सिंघ इंद्रप्रस्थ विश्वविद्यालय|
|Indraprastha University (1998-2001)|
|Motto||ज्योतिर्वृणीत तमसो विजानन्
Motto in English
|Cleave the darkness and light through knowledge.|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Anil K. Tyagi|
|Location||Dwarka, Delhi, India
60 acres (24 ha) (Main campus)
|Colours||Maroon and Blue|
|State University of Delhi.|
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (Abbr.: GGSIPU or IP or IPU, previously known as Indraprastha University, Hindi: गुरु गोबिंद सिंघ इंद्रप्रस्थ विश्वविद्यालय) is a public, professional university located in Delhi, India. It is the premier university of the country and is known for its high standards in teaching and research, as well as the eminent scholars it attracts to its faculty. Founded in 1998 it is a teaching-cum-affiliating university which affiliates 84 colleges in Delhi-NCR and has 15 schools and centres. The medium of instruction is English to meet the international language standards.The university has been graded 'A' by NAAC.
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, Association of Indian Universities, Medical Council of India and Distance Education Council.
- 1 History
- 2 Board of management
- 3 Schools and centres
- 4 Governing body
- 5 Campus
- 6 University Information Resource Centre (Library)
- 7 Academic programs and affiliated institutes
- 8 Sports Meet
- 9 Admission
- 10 International students and education
- 11 Residential Student Halls
- 12 Reputation
- 13 University banks
- 14 See also
- 15 References
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University was established as Indraprastha University (IPU) on 28 March 1998 by the Govt. of NCT Delhi as a state University. The university was named after the ancient mythological city of Indraprastha, which features prominently in the Mahabharata epic. In 2001, the university was officially re-christened as Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) after the Tenth Great guru of Sikhs Guru Gobind Singh.
Board of management
The university is governed by a board of management, headed by the vice-chancellor and is appointed by the Government of Delhi. University has following departments which hold responsibility for administrative works related to university:
- Personnel Branch
- Planning Branch
- Store and Purchase Section
- Accounts Section
- Public Relation Office
- Academic Affairs
- Affiliation Branch
- Office of International Affairs
Schools and centres
Indraprastha University has 15 schools and 2 centers. These are the faculties of the university. All are present at either main campus (Dwarka) or Kashmere Gate campus; they are among the pioneer institutions of the university. Curriculum for these schools and centers is usually different from other affiliated institutions.
- University School of Architecture & Planning
- University School of Basic & Applied Sciences
- University School of Biotechnology
- University School of Chemical Technology
- University School of Education
- University School of Engineering & Technology
- University School of Environment Management
- University School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- University School of Information and Communication Technology
- University School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- University School of Law and Legal Studies
- University School of Life Sciences
- University School of Management Studies (MBA)
- University School of Mass Communication
- University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- University Center for Disaster Management Studies
- University Center for IT Services & Infrastructure Management
|Board of Management|
|Prof. Anil K. Tyagi||Vice Chancellor of University|
|D. M. Spolia||Principal Secretary (Finance), Government of NCT of Delhi|
|Rajendra Kumar||Secretary (Higher Education & Technical Education), Govt. of NCT of Delhi|
|Lt. General S. S. Mehta||Member|
|Analjit Singh||Chairman, MAX New York Life Insurance Co. Ltd|
|P. V. Indiresan||Ex-Director, IIT Chennai|
|P. Rajendran||COO, NIIT Ltd|
|Prof. V. S. Ramamurthy||Chairman, IIT Delhi|
|Chandra Mohan||Chairman, Board of Governors, Punjab Engineering College|
|Nirmal Kumar Ganguly||Former Director General, Indian Council of Medical Research|
|Prof. A.K. Aggarwal||Dean, Maulana Azad Medical College|
|N.M.D. Jain||Engineer-in-chief, PWD|
|Prof. C.S rai||Dean, University School of Information and Communication Technology|
|M. Afzal Wani||Dean, University School of Law and Legal Studies|
|Anu Singh Lather||Dean, University School of Management Studies|
|Rajiv Kale||Registrar of University|
The university has its campus in Dwarka being recently shifted from Kashmere Gate. It is a new campus and spread over an area of 60 acres where a still considerable portion is under construction. On Dwarka campus, the university is running 10 schools and imparting professional education to more than 3000 graduate and post-graduate students.
Kashmere Gate campus has been solely acquired by Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology and Ambedkar University. With an aim to provide "Research and Development" facilities of international standards, the university has decided to set up an Institute of Information Technology in Surajmal Vihar, East Delhi. For this purpose it has acquired 19 acres (77,000 m2) of land on which the construction is likely to start very soon.
On-campus cultural festivals
- Anugoonj Annual cultural festival
- Poize Annual techno-cultural festival of University School of Biotechnology
- AVENSIS Annual cultural-cum-technical fest of Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Technology (MSIT)
- BAR annual cultural-cum-law fest festival of University School of Law and Legal Studies
- Nirvana Annual cultural festival of Vardhman Mahavir Medical College
- InfoXpression Annual cultural festival of the University School of Information and Communication Technology
- Neurotrix Annual technical festival of IEEE Student Branch of University School of Information and Communication Technology
- Techsurge and Mridang Annual technical and cultural fest of Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology (MAIT)
- Impulse Cultural-cum-technical festival of the IEEE-IGIT
- Tremors Cultural-cum-technical festival of the CSI-IGIT
- Exuberance Cultural festival of the University School of Management Studies
- Sanslation Annual technical festival of the University School of Chemical Technology
- FPS Film and Photography Society by University School of Mass Communication
- Spandan Annual cultural festival of Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies
- Corona Annual technical and cultural fest of Bhagwan Parshuram Institute of Technology (BPIT)
- Revoluzione Annual technical and cultural fest of National Power Training Institute, Badarpur (NPTI)
- EMBLAZON Annual technical and cultural fest of HMRITM
University Information Resource Centre (Library)
The library, re-christened as University Information Resource Centre (UIRC), was established in September 1999 with the prime responsibility to supplement the education and knowledge needs of the students, researchers and its faculty members. As like other departments of university, UIRC has shifted to the Dwarka campus, but the Information Technology and Business sections are still in Kashmere Gate. The services offered by UIRC are fully computerized. It has Web OPAC system with university’s website which helps its members and international academic community to assess the information on the library holdings on-line. The centre at present serves about 4000 members.
Academic programs and affiliated institutes
GGSIPU was established as an affiliating and teaching university to promote studies in the emerging areas of higher education. The university runs almost 50 courses of study as diverse as engineering, technology, business management, medicine, pharmacy, nursing, education, and law. There are more than 120 colleges affiliated to it which are run according to the rules and regulation set by the university.
Admission to courses of the university are strictly done by Common Entrance Tests (CETs). The university holds 46 CETs for admissions to all of its programs. The university also hold CET for Ph.d.
International students and education
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University enrolls foreign students in its affiliated schools and colleges. The medium of instruction is English to meet the international language standards. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University has been qualified to be a certified and education partner with Educational Testing Services (ETS), Princeton, New Jersey, USA. The university is a certified test administrative site for internet based examination for TOEFL iBT and other ETS tests (GRE, GMAT, SAT). The university has been recognized globally with this significant achievement and by this it promotes international education. The university hosted 30 students from Laos as part of a bilateral cooperation programme on Information and Communication Technology.
Residential Student Halls
University provides hostel facility to students from outside the Delhi NCR region. There are four hostels, Shivalik and Aravali for Boys and Nilgiri and Satpura for girls.
According to Times Ranking 2013 Indraprastha University is ranked 12th among the top universities of India. University School of Law and Legal Studies also ranked amongst top 10 law school of the country. Faculty of Biotechnology of university-University School of Biotechnology is ranked sixth in the list of Premier Public Biotechnology Institutes of India.
The Punjab and Sind Bank at the Kashmere Gate campus of university served as the official banker of university until shifted to its new campus at Dwarka. Now Indian Bank provides money management facility to university students and staff as official banker of university. It is the official and only vendor of university's CETs' forms.
- Education in Delhi
- University Grants Commission (India)
- List of courses and colleges affiliated with GGSIPU
- "Members by country". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "AIU-Members". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Affiliations and Memberships". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Establishment of Affiliating University (GGSIP UNIVERSITY)". delhi.gov.in. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Introduction to Delhi" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Heavy agenda for assembly session". The Hindu. Chennai, India: The Hindu. 15 December 2001. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "UNIVERSITY INFORMATION RESOURCES CENTRE". Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Courses". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Programs". Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Affiliated Institutes". Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "French honours for V-Cs". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 December 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Admission Criterion for International Students" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "International Affairs". Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University to host students from Laos". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 11 July 2007. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "India's Top Public BT Schools - Uttarakhand Government". Government of Uttarakhand. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.|