Guru Nanak Dev University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|The Lamp of Guru’s wisdom Illuminates and Enlightens|
|Chancellor||Governor of Punjab|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. (Prof.) Jaspal Singh Sandhu|
Amritsar, Punjab, India|
Guru Nanak Dev University (G.N.D.U.) was established at Amritsar, Punjab, India on 24 November 1969 to commemorate Guru Nanak Dev's birth quincentenary celebrations. Guru Nanak Dev University campus is spread over 500 acres (2 km²) near village of Kot Khalsa, nearly 8 km west of the Amritsar, next to Khalsa College, Amritsar. G.N.D.U. is both a residential and an affiliating university. In conceiving its future course, the objectives enshrined in the Act 1969 emphasized that the new university would make provision for imparting education and promoting research in the humanities, learned professions, sciences, especially of applied nature and technology. Studies and research on the life and teachings of Guru Nanak, in addition to working towards the promotion of Punjabi language and spreading education among educationally backward classes and communities were the other commitments.
Guru Nanak Dev University campus is spread over 500 acres (2 km²) near the village of Kot Khalsa, some 8 km west of the Amritsar City on Amritsar - Lahore highway, next to Khalsa College, Amritsar. G.N.D.U. presents a picture of modern architecture. Traditional red brick geometrical blocks represent its regard for time-honored values and its commitment to scientific advancement. Making its humble beginning in an annex of the adjoining Khalsa College, the university today boasts 37 academic departments, two regional centers, three constituent colleges and a score of support service departments together with several administrative offices.
- Bishan Singh Samundri (1969 to 1978)
- Karam Singh Gill (1978 to 1981)
- J. S. Grewal (1981 to 1984)
- S. S. Bal (1985 to 1988)
- Gurdip Singh Randhawa (1989 to 1996)
- Harbhajan Singh Soch (1996 to 2001)
- S. P. Singh (2001 to 2006)
- Jairup Singh (2006 to February 2009)
- Ajaib Singh Brar (2009 to 2017)
- Jaspal Singh Sandhu (2017- Present)
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||4|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||59|
- "GNDU offers jobs to 21 M.Sc Chemistry students,placement toll 416". punjabnewsexpress.com. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Vice Chancellor's Message". web.gndu.ac.in. Guru Nanak Dev University. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guru Nanak Dev University.|