Guru Nanak Dev University
|Motto||ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨ ਦੀਪਕ ਉਜਿਆਰੀਆ|
Motto in English
|The Lamp of Guru’s wisdom Illuminates and Enlightens|
|Vice-Chancellor||Ajkib Singh Brar |
|Location||Amritsar, Punjab, India
500 acres (2 km²) (Main Campus)
Guru Nanak Dev University (Punjabi: ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਵ ਯੂਨੀਵਰਸਿਟੀ; G.N.D.U.) was established at Amritsar, India on November 24, 1969 to commemorate Guru Nanak Dev's birth quincentenary celebrations. Guru Nanak Dev University campus is spread over 500 acres (2 km²) near village of Kot Khalsa, nearly 8 km west of the Amritsar City on Amritsar - Lahore highway, next to Khalsa College, Amritsar. Recently, Guru Nanak Dev University has attained the highest status of University with Potential for Excellence (UPE) by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
G.N.D.U. is both a residential and an affiliating University. In conceiving the future course of the University, the objectives enshrined in the Act 1969, emphasized that the new university would make provision for imparting education and promoting research in the humanities, learned professions, sciences, especially of applied nature and technology. Studies and research on the life and teachings of Guru Nanak, in addition to working towards the promotion of Punjabi language and spreading education among educationally backward classes and communities were the other commitments.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Awards
- 3 Faculties in G.N.D.U.
- 3.1 Faculty in Applied Sciences
- 3.2 Faculty in Arts & Social Science
- 3.3 Faculty in Economics & Business
- 3.4 Faculty in Engineering & Technology
- 3.5 Faculty in Humanities & Religious Studies
- 3.6 Faculty in Languages
- 3.7 Faculty in Laws
- 3.8 Faculty in Life Sciences
- 3.9 Faculty in Physical Education
- 3.10 Faculty in Physical Planning & Architecture
- 3.11 Faculty in Sciences
- 3.12 Faculty in Sports Medicines & Physiotherapy
- 3.13 Faculty in Visual Art & Performing Arts
- 4 Regional Campuses & Constituent Colleges
- 5 Collections
- 6 Placements
- 7 University Students Activities
- 8 Former Vice Chancellors
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Guru Nanak Dev University campus is spread over 500 acres (2 km²) near the village of Kot Khalsa, some eight kilometers west of the Amritsar City on Amritsar - Lahore highway, next to Khalsa College, Amritsar. G.N.D.U. presents a picture of modern architecture. Traditional red brick geometrical blocks represent its regard for time-honoured values and its commitment to scientific advancement. Making its humble beginning in an annexe of the adjoining Khalsa College, the University today boasts thirty seven academic departments, two regional centres, three constituent colleges and a score of support service departments together with several administrative offices.
In addition to the academics, the University has also created necessary facilities for recreation and all round development of its students and faculty in the form of Department of Youth Services, National Service Scheme, a 900-seat all purpose auditorium, half a dozen seminar and conference halls, a modern hi-tech sports complex, sports hostel, faculty club, students' centre, health centre, day care centre, two separate holiday homes at Dalhousie for teachers and students, working women hostel, Baba Buddha College Bhawan along with on-campus residential facilities for a large number of students, teachers and administrative staff. The Campus with its lush green grounds, swaying fields, blossom laden tree lined lanes provides a physical environment conducive for work and progress. The University takes pride in the fact that its community has developed over the years a great participative work culture.
The University has won Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy seventeen times  and inter-varsity youth festival championship four times consecutively. UGC has granted the University Centre for Excellence in Sport Science.
National Assessment and Accreditation Council accredited the University at the Five Star Level. Being rated at such a high level will inspire its community to make strides ahead still faster and stronger with academic excellence and commitment to social upliftment as the core ideals.
Faculties in G.N.D.U.
Faculty in Applied Sciences
- Department of Applied Chemistry 
- Department of Applied Chemical Sciences & Technology
- Department of Applied Physics
- Department of Food Science & Technologyes
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Faculty in Arts & Social Science
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Psychology
- School of Social Sciences
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Library & Information Science
Faculty in Economics & Business
- Department of Commerce and Business Management - The Department of Commerce and Business Management (CBM) was initially a constituent unit of the Punjab School of Economics, but in 1984 it started functioning as an independent department. Admission to the MBA program is through a competitive test, MET Punjab.
- Punjab School of Economics
Faculty in Engineering & Technology
Faculty in Humanities & Religious Studies
- Guru Nanak Studies
Faculty in Languages
- Department of English
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Sanskrit, Pali & Prakrit
- School of Punjabi Studies
- Department of Urdu & Persian
Faculty in Laws
- Department of Laws
Faculty in Life Sciences
- Centre for Genetic Disorders
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Botanical & Environ. Sciences
- Department of Human Genetics
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Molecular Biology & Bio-Chemistry.
- Department of Zoology
Faculty in Physical Education
- Department of Physical Education
Faculty in Physical Planning & Architecture
Faculty in Sciences
Faculty in Sports Medicines & Physiotherapy
- Department of Sports Medicines & Physiotherapy
Faculty in Visual Art & Performing Arts
- Department of Music
Regional Campuses & Constituent Colleges
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh regional campus, Jalandhar
- Regional campus, Gurdaspur
- Regional campus, Sathiala
- Regional campus, Sultanpur Lodhi
- University college, Jalandhar
- Amardeep Singh Shergill Memorial college, Mukandpur
- Shaheed Ram Singh Pathania Memorial college, Niari
- Bebe Nanki University, Mithra, Kapurthala, Punjab
- Guru Nanak Dev University College, Narot Jaimal Singh, Pathankot, Punjab
Bhai Gurdas Library
The University Library is one of the most Prestigious & well known Library in north zone of India, having more than 4 lakh 15 thousand books along with many Indian & foreign journals, manuscripts, dissertations and map Collections etc. Bhai Gurdas Library has prepared Databases of books in English, Hindi and Punjabi Languages. As soon as new books are purchased and processed, their bibliographic description is added in the OPAC. Two terminals have been dedicated for the readers to use OPAC for their search of books. In addition to OPAC this facility is also available on INTRANET within University Campus to benefit the students/faculty members by giving access to catalog at their respective departments. Computer Section of Bhai Gurdas Library also provide fast speed free Internet Service to students with more than twenty systems.
For the convenience of the students and teachers 22 departmental libraries (14 Individual Libraries, 5 Multidisciplinary Libraries and 3 Libraries maintained by the departments) have been established in different departments buildings which are as follows:
1. Academic Staff College
2. Department of Applied Chemical Sciences & Technology
3. Department of Chemistry
4. Department of Commerce & Business Management
5. Department of Computer Science & Engineering
6. Department of Electronics & Technology
7. Department of English
8. Department of History
9. Department of Laws
10. Department of Library & Information Science
11. Department of Political Science
12. Department of Psychology
13. Department of Sociology
(ii) Multidisciplined Libraries :
1. AIS Centre and School of Social Sciences
2. Department of Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, Botanical & Environmental Sciences, Microbiology, Zoology and Human Genetics (Life Sciences)
3. Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Applied Physics and Applied Chemistry
4. Department of Physics and Mathematics
5. Guru Nanak Bhawan (Guru Nanak Studies, School of Punjabi Studies, Hindi, Sanskrit, Foreign Languages, Urdu and Persian)
G.N.D.U. has a good track record of a large number of placements in the region. Many multinational corporations visit the G.N.D.U. campus annually to select the students from CSE, ECE, MBA and Food Technology departments.
University Students Activities
Technical Student Society
The Technical Student Society (T.S.S.) was revived on 5 March 2008 by the students of Department of Computer Science & Engineering (Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar) after the recruitment team of Infosys commented on the general IQ of the students in the campus. The society was revived with a purpose to enhance the technical, communication & creative skills of the students. Within a span of two years, the society had grown into a 500-member team.
After a series of technical, literary and cultural events, the society successfully organized a national level tech-cum-cultural festival, IRIS 2008 from 19–21 September 2008. Amazingly, the fest had a budget of over 3 lacs. Apart from all this, the society also started a magazine of the campus; Phoenix. All these activities gave a significant boost to the confidence & morale of the students who were involved in any way to the society. Now Technical Students Society has expanded its wings and it operates in Computer Science Department as well as in Electronics Department. Since then technical-cum-cultural festivals have been successfully organized annually.
Phoenix is the University magazine printed annually by Technical Students Society. Within six months of its inception, the society printed the University magazine, Phoenix, designed, edited and managed completely by the students. Just like other activities, the printing expenses are sought from sponsors which again are tapped by students. Till date, two issues of the magazine has been released which have met a very enthusiastic response from students.
Talking about the content of magazine, the main content of magazine is student based. The problems, responsibilities and even mis-behaviour of students. Genuine issues related to the campus are featured in the magazine and it is for the same reason that it is distributed in every major office of the campus so that voice of the students is heard. For this, a special column, by the name of 'Voice' is put up in the magazine which contains the problems of student in general. After the first issue, a need was felt to bridge the gap between the university administration and the students. Therefore, the 'voice' of security guards was put up in the second issue. The magazine contains in majority the articles of students themselves, this is to depict what does the generation think about the various issues of the society and the campus. Not only the articles, the art work of students is also put up in the magazine to encourage budding painters and artists. Another regular article in the Phoenix is 'Knowledge Center' in which a specific technology is discussed and explained in layman terms.
All in all, the magazine is a complete fun package for anyone who is related to campus in any way because of humouristic way the things are presented.
Former Vice Chancellors
- Bishan Singh Samundri (1969 to 1978)
- Karam Singh Gill (1978 to 1981)
- J.S.Grewal (1981 to 1984)
- S.S.Bal (1985 to 1988)
- Gurdip Singh Randhawa (1989 to 1996)
- Harbhajan Singh Soch (1996 to 2001)
- S.P.Singh (2001 to 2006)
- Jairup Singh (2006 to February 2009)
- Ajaib Singh Brar(2009,currently on the position)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guru Nanak Dev University.|
- Official University website
- GNDU on Google Maps
- Placements Record
- Guru Nanak Dev University: Get the useful information about Guru Nanak Dev University like contact details, admission process, courses available etc.