Scott at 2005 training camp
May 21, 1982|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
Trinity Christian Academy|
|NFL Draft:||2004 / Round: 3 / Pick: 95|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Guss T'Mar Scott (born May 21, 1982) is an American former college and professional football player was a safety in the National Football League (NFL) for two seasons during the early 2000s. Scott played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the New England Patriots and Houston Texans of the NFL.
Scott was born in Jacksonville, Florida in 1982. He attended Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville, and played for the TCA high school football team. He played on offense as a running back and defense as a defensive back, and was a three-year starter. As a senior in 1999, he was recognized as a Florida Class 2A second-team selection at running back while rushing for 1,920 yards and compiling five interceptions.
Scott accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played strong safety for coach Steve Spurrier and coach Ron Zook's Florida Gators football teams from 2000 to 2003. He saw action on special teams as a true freshman and sophomore, and was a regular starter at safety during his junior and senior seasons. He was recognized as the Gators' defensive back of the year in 2002, and led the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in forced fumbles in 2003.
The New England Patriots chose Scott in the third round (ninety-fifth pick overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft, and was a member of the Patriots during the 2004 and 2005 seasons. Scott spent parts of the 2006 NFL season on the rosters of the Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins and New York Jets. He finished his NFL career on the practice squad of the Seattle Seahawks. In three NFL regular seasons, Scott played in eleven regular season games and started two of them.
- Florida Gators
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of New England Patriots players
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Guss Scott. Retrieved March 17, 2011.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Guss Scott Archived 2011-11-21 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- GatorZone.com, Football History, 2003 Football Roster, Guss Scott Archived 2011-07-11 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved March 17, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 97, 98, 154, 185 (2011). Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 2004 National Football League Draft. Retrieved March 17, 2011.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Guss Scott. Retrieved March 17, 2011.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.