Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
|Prince Gustav Albrecht|
|Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Spouse||Margareta Fouché d'Otrante|
|Father||Richard 4th Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Mother||Princess Madeleine zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg|
|Born||28 February 1907|
|Died||29 November 1969(aged 62)|
Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Gustav Albrecht Alfred Franz Friedrich Otto Emil Ernst, 28 February 1907 – 1944 (declared legally dead 29 November 1969) was Prince and Head of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. He was the son of Richard 4th Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and of his wife, née Princess Madeleine zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg.
Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Gustav Albrecht Alfred Franz Friedrich Otto Emil Ernst as born on 28 February 1907 at Berleburg, Germany. He married Margareta Fouché d'Otrante (28 March 1909 – 25 August 2005) on 26 January 1934 at Björnlunda, Södermanland Län, Sweden.
In 1944, while serving as a Nazi officer on a campaign in Russia, Gustav Albrecht was declared missing in action. His family did not seek to have him declared dead until 29 November 1969, after the birth of Gustav, Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg on 12 January 1969; 29 November 1969 is listed as the official date of death for Gustav Albrecht.
He is alternately known as Gustav Albrecht Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
Military Service Honors
Prince Gustav Albrecht served in the German Army in the rank and title of Rittmeister in the Ic 23. Panzer-Division. He was awarded the German Cross in Silver (Kriegsorden des Deutschen Kreuzes in Silber) on 18 August 1944. Additionally, he was awarded the War Merit Cross 1st. class with swords (Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse mit Schwertern), also known as the KVK 1, which was instituted on 18 October 1939 by Hitler; the date of this honor is not known.
- Richard-Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin, Current Head of the House of, and Prince of, Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- Princess Madeleine Olga Dora Edle Benedicte of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (b 22 April 1936) married Otto, The Count of Solms-Laubach and had issue
- Robin Alexander Wolfgang Udo Eugen Wilhelm Gottfried of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (b 29 January 1938) married (and divorced in 1979) Birgitta af Klercker (1942–2007) with whom he had issue; married secondly Marie-Christine Heftler-Louiche and had issue
- Princess Tatiana Louise Ursula Therese Elsa of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (b 31 July 1940) married Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse (m 1 June 1964 d. October 1974)  and had issue
- Princess Pia Margarete of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (b 8 December 1942)
- Lundy, Darryl. "House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg family update". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.[unreliable source]
- "Axis History Factbook: 23. Panzer-Division". Axishistory.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Axis History Factbook: German Cross in Silver Holders of 23. Panzer-Division". Axishistory.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "SAYN-WITTGENSTEIN-BERLEBURG, Fürst zu, Gustav-Albr". Ww2awards.com. 1944-08-18. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Person Page 10406". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.[unreliable source]
Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-BerleburgBorn: 1907 Died: 1969
Richard 4th Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
|Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg||Succeeded by
Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg