||This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gustavo Rafael Moretto (born 31 March 1950) is an Argentine composer, pianist, trumpet player, singer-songwriter and educator.
Work and education
Moretto was born in Buenos Aires, where he initiated his music career as a trumpet player, composer and pianist for Alma y Vida, one of that country's most famous bands. He later left the band to form ALAS (band) together with Alex Zuker and Carlos Riganti where he was the composer and keyboard player. In 1979, Mr. Moretto traveled to the United States where he pursued formal training in composition.
He holds a Doctorate degree in music composition from Columbia University, Bachelor's degree from The New England Conservatory and has been a professor in charge of the instrumental program at La Guardia Community College in New York City since 1996.
Honors and recognition
Moretto received such honors as a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Norton Stevens Fellowship at the MacDowell Colony, ASCAP's Raymond Hubbell Music Scholarship Award, a Fellowship at the Composer's Conference at Wellesley College, and a Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation sponsorship at Yaddo. His classical works have been performed by the Washington Square Contemporary Music Society, the Earplay Music Ensemble of San Francisco, the Dinosaur Annex Music Ensemble of Boston, the Chamber Players of The Composers Conference at Wellesley College, Speculum Musicae at Columbia University, the Agrupación Nueva Música of Buenos Aires, the Grupo de Cámara de Buenos Aires, and others.
- 1971 - Alma y Vida, Volume 1 RCA
- 1972 - Alma y Vida, Volume 2 RCA
- 1973 - Del gemido de un gorrión RCA
- 1973 - Alma y Vida, Volume 3 RCA
- 1974 - Alma y Vida, Volume 4 RCA
- 1975 - Aire Surgente, Rincon, mi Viejo Rincon. Alas. (single) EMI
- 1976 - Alas. Published EMI 8294
- 1983 - Pinta tu Aldea. Alas.EMI 8597
- 1996 - Silenciosamente. Earplay. Centaur Records
- 2003 - Mimame Bandoneon. Alas. Sonoram
- 2011 - Yo Me Acuerdo Buenos Aires