|Born||George Guy Dodson
January 13, 1937
Palmerston North, New Zealand
|Died||December 24, 2012
|Alma mater||University of New Zealand (BSc, PhD)|
Dodson did postdoctoral research with Dorothy Hodgkin at the University of Oxford. He devised along with Hodgkin, very intricate experimental, crystallographic and computer techniques that led to the final solution of the structure of insulin. Dodson was head of the structural biology laboratories at the University of York and National Institute for Medical Research, London. During his career he collaborated with many scientists including Dale Wigley, Gideon Davies, Andrzej Brzozowski, Leo Brady and Max Perutz.
Awards and honours
Dodson was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1994. His nomination reads
|“||Guy Dodson's major researches have been concerned with the Xray analysis of a variety of crystalline proteins many now being carried out with increasing speed and accuracy through the use of synchrotron radiation. His most considerable work, on insulin, extends from his part in the first solution of the 2 zinc insulin crystal structure to the refeinement of the atomic parameters of both protein and water moledules at 1.5A resolution. He has recently explored remarkable conformational variations of the insulin molecule under different conditions, which give rise to three different hexamers, dimers at different pH and a monomeric despentapeptide insulin. He is at present investigating structure activity relations of genetically engineered varieties of insulin. Other systems he has studied include a series of bacterial ribonucleases and the T state of haemoglobin as seen in the partially liganded T alpha oxy beta deoxy, T alpha met beta met and T alpha deoxy beta deoxy human haemoglobins, crystallised from polyethyleneglycol. It is characteristic of him that he has created a laboratory to which protein crystals are brought from all over the world and their structures solved.||”|
- DODSON, Prof. Eleanor Joy. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- Professor Guy Dodson, Department of Chemistry, University of York, retrieved 29 December 2012.
- De Meyts, P. (2013). "In Memoriam: Guy Dodson (1937–2012)". Frontiers in Endocrinology. 4. doi:10.3389/fendo.2013.00033.
- Wigley, D.B.; Davies, G.J.; Dodson, E.J.; Maxwell, A; Dodson, G (1991). "Crystal structure of an N-terminal fragment of the DNA gyrase B protein". Nature. 351 (6328): 624–629. Bibcode:1991Natur.351..624W. PMID 1646964. doi:10.1038/351624a0.
- Davies, G. J.; Dodson, G. G.; Hubbard, R. E.; Tolley, S. P.; Dauter, Z.; Wilson, K. S.; Hjort, C.; Mikkelsen, J. M. L.; Rasmussen, G.; Schülein, M. (1993). "Structure and function of endoglucanase V". Nature. 365 (6444): 362–4. PMID 8377830. doi:10.1038/365362a0.
- Baker, E. N. (2013). "Guy Dodson FRS (1937–2012)". Acta Crystallographica Section D. 69 (3): 490. doi:10.1107/S0907444913004186.
- on YouTube
- Written evidence submitted by Professor Guy Dodson, FRS, FMS, ForMemINSA, parliament.uk
- Guy Dodson's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Blundell, T. L.; Dodson, G. G.; Dodson, E.; Hodgkin, D. C.; Vijayan, M. (1971). "X-ray analysis and the structure of insulin". Recent progress in hormone research. 27: 1–40. PMID 4946130.
- Blundell, T.L.; Cutfield, J.F.; Cutfield, S.M.; Dodson, E.J.; Dodson, G.G.; Hodgkin, D.C.; Mercola, D.A.; Vijayan, M. (1971). "Atomic positions in rhombohedral 2-zinc insulin crystals". Nature. 231 (5304): 506–511. PMID 4932997. doi:10.1038/231506a0.
- Adam, M. G.; Coller, L.; Hodgkin, D. C.; Dodson, G. G. (1966). "X-ray crystallographic studies on zinc insulin crystals". The American Journal of Medicine. 40 (5): 667–671. PMID 5941965. doi:10.1016/0002-9343(66)90146-X.
- Dodson, Guy (2002). "Dorothy Mary Crowfoot Hodgkin, O.M. 12 May 1910 - 29 July 1994". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 48: 179–219. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2002.0011.
- Brzozowski, A. M.; Derewenda, U.; Derewenda, Z. S.; Dodson, G. G.; Lawson, D. M.; Turkenburg, J. P.; Bjorkling, F.; Huge-Jensen, B.; Patkar, S. A.; Thim, L. (1991). "A model for interfacial activation in lipases from the structure of a fungal lipase-inhibitor complex". Nature. 351 (6326): 491. PMID 2046751. doi:10.1038/351491a0.
- Brady, L.; Brzozowski, A. M.; Derewenda, Z. S.; Dodson, E.; Dodson, G.; Tolley, S.; Turkenburg, J. P.; Christiansen, L.; Huge-Jensen, B.; Norskov, L.; Thim, L.; Menge, U. (1990). "A serine protease triad forms the catalytic centre of a triacylglycerol lipase". Nature. 343 (6260): 767–70. PMID 2304552. doi:10.1038/343767a0.
- Perutz, M. F.; Wilkinson, A. J.; Paoli, M.; Dodson, G. G. (1998). "The Stereochemical Mechanism of the Cooperative Effects in Hemoglobin Revisited". Annual Review of Biophysics and Biomolecular Structure. 27: 1. doi:10.1146/annurev.biophys.27.1.1.
- "EC/1994/13:Dodson, George Guy". London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2014-10-29.