This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2020)
|Born||January 30, 1957|
Guy Gilchrist (born January 30, 1957 in Connecticut) is an American cartoonist, country musician, animator, songwriter and comics artist. He has worked on Your Angels Speak, Night Lights & Pillow Fights, Screams, The Poetry Guy, The Muppets and The Rock Channel. Between 1995 and 2018 he continued the comics Nancy and also had another comic strip named Today's Dogg.
Guy Gilchrist is also the author/illustrator of 60 plus children's books.
At various times in the 1980s and 1990s, Gilchrist managed the publishing and/or merchandising for such licenses as Pink Panther, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Minnie Mouse.
Gilchrist started his career in the late 1970s with Superkernel Comics, a monthly comic book published by Weekly Reader Publishing in Middletown, Connecticut. He also created the comic strip Mudpie.
He has designed logos for Minor League baseball teams, including the Portland Sea Dogs, Norwich Navigators, and New Britain Rock Cats, and also designed the J. League football team Shimizu S-Pulse's mascot, Palchan.
He won the National Cartoonist Society Magazine Award for 1998 1999, and was nominated for their Book Illustration Award for 1987 and 1993.
On January 2, 2018, Gilchrist announced that after 22 years, his last Nancy strip would be February 18, 2018.
Since retiring from Nancy, he has toured both the Comic-Con and Motivational Speaking circuits, and stayed active in Illustration. 2018's Buddha Bear's Enlightenment Coloring Book for Backpack Buddha and most lately, 2020's Monster Dance for Madeleine Editions in Paris.
- Comics Buyer's Guide #1650; February 2009; Page 107
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Archived from the original on February 18, 2011.
- Knudde, Kjell (March 10, 2018). "Guy Gilchrist (biography)". Lambiek Comiclopedia. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Weiss, Brett. "Your Angels Speak Comics from Angels Publishing". AtomicAvenue.com. Human Computing. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "About - A Guy Gilchrist Production". A Guy Gilchrist Production. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "About Today's Dogg". GoComics. Andrews McMeel Universal. Archived from the original on 2018-02-20. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- Altis, Steven (September 8, 2006). "A Kernel Of Truth & Justice: Part 1 of 4". Plastic Pumpkins. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Schmitt, Brad (January 2, 2018). "'Nancy' comic strip's Guy Gilchrist to step away after 22 years of Sluggo-ing it out". The Tennessean. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "About Guy Gilchrist page at Guy Gilchrist's Cartooners Way". Retrieved November 30, 2017.[dead link]
- NCS Awards
- Guy Gilchrist: From The Muppets To Nancy, A Success Story. Tizziano Thomas Dossena, L'Idea Magazine, 2014