Guy Russell (footballer)
Russell in the Birmingham City FC kit
|Full name||Guy Robert Russell|
|Date of birth||28 September 1967|
|Place of birth||Shirley, England|
|Playing position||Centre forward|
|Knowle North Star|
|1987||→ Carlisle United (loan)||12||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Guy Robert Russell (born 28 September 1967) is an English former professional footballer and manager who played in the Football League for Birmingham City and Carlisle United. He played as a centre forward.
Russell was born in Shirley, West Midlands. As a junior, he played for Knowle North Star before joining Birmingham City as a YTS trainee in 1984. He turned professional two years later. He made his debut as a 17-year-old, on 19 March 1985, playing 90 minutes as Des Bremner's deputy in a Second Division game at home to Manchester City which finished goalless. He made one substitute appearance in the following season in the First Division, and spent the latter part of the 1987–88 season on loan at Carlisle United, where his two goals from 12 games failed to prevent the club's relegation from the Third Division. Russell made another ten first-team appearances for Birmingham, but failed to score despite being a regular scorer in the junior teams, and in April 1989 he moved to Finland to play for Kemin Palloseura. Following their relegation, he returned to England and joined Moor Green of the Southern League.
Russell was to remain with Moor Green for eleven years. In 1999, he was awarded a testimonial match between a Birmingham City All-Stars team and their Middlesbrough counterparts, he was club captain, and manager Bob Faulkner described him as "one of the Moor Green greats". In 2000 Russell joined Solihull Borough as a player, later becoming assistant manager and in March 2004 taking over as manager. After nearly a year in post, Russell resigned, citing the time commitment and the frustration involved in managing a club unable to compete financially.
- "Birmingham City : 1947/48–2007/08". UK A–Z Transfers. Neil Brown. Retrieved 29 May 2009.
- Matthews, Tony (1995). Birmingham City: A Complete Record. Derby: Breedon Books. p. 122. ISBN 978-1-85983-010-9.
- "The History of Knowle Football Club". Knowle F.C. Retrieved 29 May 2009.
- Matthews, p. 220.
- Matthews, p. 221.
- "Veteran Russell vows to keep on running" (reprint, subscription required for full story). Sports Argus. HighBeam Research. 24 April 1999.
- Self, Janine (22 January 2000). "Tayls of the unexpected" (reprint). The Sun. NewsBank. Retrieved 29 May 2009.
- "Moors pay tribute to retiring stalwart". NonLeague Daily. 7 June 2004. Retrieved 29 May 2009.
- "Solihull Borough" (reprint, subscription required for full story). Birmingham Post. HighBeam Research. 17 March 2004. Retrieved 29 May 2009.
- "Russell quits Solihull". NonLeague Daily. 21 March 2005. Retrieved 29 May 2009.