Eastlake-Smith, prior to 1910
|Born||Gladys Shirley Eastlake Smith
14 August 1883
Sydenham, Lewisham, Kent
|Died||18 September 1941
Middleham, North Yorkshire
|Known for||Olympic Gold Medalist|
|Spouse(s)||Wharram Henry Lamplough|
|Children||Shirley (b. 1910)
Diana (b. 1912)
Susan (b. 1916)
|Olympic medal record|
|1908 London||Women's singles-indoors|
Gladys Shirley Eastlake Smith (14 August 1883 – 18 September 1941), also known as Gwendoline Eastlake-Smith and Gladys Lamplough (after her marriage), was a British tennis player. She won an Olympic gold medal at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.
Born as Gladys Shirley Eastlake Smith in Sydenham, Lewisham, Kent on 14 August 1883, she was the daughter of Charles Eastlake Smith and Lizzie Smith (née Cooper). Her father had played football for England in 1876.
She won the All England covered mixed doubles in 1905 with Reginald Doherty. She won the Monte Carlo tournament in 1906, 1907 and 1908, won the London covered court ladies singles in October 1906 and April 1907, and reached the final in October 1907. She won the All England covered mixed doubles a second time in 1908 with Anthony Wilding. The same year, she won the Women's indoor singles at the Olympic Games in London. She beat fellow Briton Violet Pinkney 7–5, 7–5 in the quarter-finals; Swede Elsa Wallenberg 6–4, 6–4 in the semi-finals; and fellow Briton Alice Greene 6–2, 4–6, 6–0 in the final.
Two days after winning the Olympic final, she married Wharram Henry Lamplough a physician and surgeon. She reached the semi-finals in the ladies singles at Wimbledon, under her married name, in 1908 and 1910, and won the ladies singles at Queen's in 1910. She won the "Married Doubles" in 1913 with her husband. She last competed in the ladies singles at Wimbledon in 1921.
- Lewisham Herald, Lewisham's Olympic Heroes[permanent dead link]
- "Gwendoline Eastlake-Smith Olympic Results". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- 1891 Census of Isle of Wight, RG12/895, Folio 121, Page 48, Gladys S.E. Smith, Age 7, Relation:Daughter. Where born:Sydenham, Kent Address:Hamburgh Road, Ventnor.
- Charles Eastlake Smith
- 1891 Census of Isle of Wight, RG12/895, Folio 121, Page 48, Charles E Smith, Age 40, Occupation:Manager to a Manufacturer. Where born:Ceylon. Address:Hamburgh Road, Ventnor.
- Her father Charles Eastlake Smith had been born in Colombo, Ceylon in 1950, the footballer Charles Eastlake Smith had been born in Colombo, Ceylon in 1950.