Acharya Shri 108
Gyansagar on a 2013 stamp of India
Ranoli, Sikar Rajasthan
Nasirabad, Ajmer Rajasthan
|Ascetics initiated||Acharya Vidyasagar|
|Initiation as Muni||1959|
Khaniya ji, Jaipur
by Acharya Shivsagar
|Initiation as Kshullak||Gyanbhushan|
by Acharya Veersagar
|Part of a series on|
He was born in 1891 as Bhooramal Chhabra (Hindi: भूरामल छाबड़ा). His father was named Chaturbhuj Chhabra and mother Ghritbhari Devi. He was second of five brothers (Chhaganlal being the eldest and Gangaprasad, Gaurilal and Devdatt being the younger brothers).
After completing primary studies in his village, he further studied Sanskrit and swadwad in Banaras at the famous Syadvad Mahavidyalaya founded by Ganeshprasad Varni. He was initiated a kshullak (Junior monk) by Acharya Veersagar who belonged to the lineage of Acharya Shantisagar. He was then named kshullak Gyanbhusan. He remained a kshullak for 2 years and 2 more years as Ailak before becoming a Muni (Full monk).
He was initiated a monk by Acharya Shivsagar who also belonged to the lineage of Acharya Shantisagar, in Khaniya ji, Jaipur in 1959. He was further elevated to the Acharya status in 1968 at Naseerabad, Rajasthan.
As an expert in Sanskrit, he had been a great composer in Sanskrit. At least 30 researchers have studied his works and were honored doctoral degrees. At least 300 scholars have presented research papers on his work.
His works includes 4 Sanskrit epics and 3 more Jain texts and that too in the time when the Sanskrit composition was almost obsolete. These creations have always surprised the modern Sanskrit scholars.
An official Government of India stamp in his memory was issues by minister Sachin Pilot on September 10, 2013 at Kishangarh Rajasthan. He thus became the first Digambar Jain Acharya to have a stamp released in his memory.
He belongs to the tradition established by Acharya Shantisagar:
- Acharya Shantisagar
- Acharya Virsagar
- Acharya Shivsagar
- Acharya Gyansagar
- Acharya Vidyasagar (present leader)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gyansagar.|
- इस संत के जीवत रहते स्टूडेंट कर रहे हैं इन पर PHD, जानें क्या है इनकी खूबी Dainik Bhaskar, Oct 17, 2016. Bhaskar.com. Retrieved on 2018-11-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 November 2018. Retrieved 22 November 2018.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- hindi gyan techno . https://hindigyantechno.blogspot.com/. Retrieved on 2018-11-08.
- Yahoo. In.jagran.yahoo.com. Retrieved on 2018-11-08.
- Postage stamp on Acharya Gyansagar released, Press Trust of India, Ajmer, September 10, 2013. Business-standard.com. Retrieved on 2018-11-08.
- प्रथम दिगम्बर जैन संत जिन पर हुआ डाकटिकिट जारी Edited By Rajneesh K Jha on बुधवार, 11 सितंबर 2013