|Date of birth||September 2, 1991|
|Place of birth||Hawthorne, California, United States|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Playing position||Wing forward|
|2009–2012||Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners||56||(38)|
|2011–2012||Ventura County Fusion||28||(19)|
|2014||→ LA Galaxy II (loan)||1||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of July 23, 2016.
Gyasi Zardes (born September 2, 1991) is an American soccer player currently playing for LA Galaxy in Major League Soccer and the United States national team. Zardes scored 38 goals during a three-year college career at California State University, Bakersfield, finishing as one of the top goal scorers in the NCAA in each of the last two years when he tallied 33 goals in 37 games.
Youth and college
Zardes played for the Galaxy Academy U-18’s during the 2008–09 and 2009–10 Development Academy seasons as well as with the Galaxy U-20s in the 2009 USL Super-20 campaign. After declaring himself a red shirt freshman at CSU Bakersfield, Zardes led the Galaxy U-20 team to the national championship in 2010.
After tallying five goals and a team-best seven assists in his first season of college soccer, Zardes burst onto the scene as a sophomore in 2011, scoring 18 times in 20 games while helping lead Bakersfield to a berth in the NCAA Division I Tournament for the first time in school history. His 18 goals that season were the fourth most in Division I college soccer that year and he was selected the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Player of the Year and a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy, which is awarded annually to the top player in college soccer.
In 2012, Zardes followed up his breakout season by scoring 15 goals and adding nine assists, each of which were team-highs, in 17 games, while helping the Roadrunners record a winning record for the fourth consecutive season. He had two or more goals in four of his 17 games, including seven goals in a two-game stretch in mid-October.
LA Galaxy signed Zardes as a Homegrown player on December 20, 2012. On April 15, 2013, Zardes made his debut as a substitute for LA Galaxy Reserves in a 1–1 draw with Seattle Sounders Reserves. On April 27, 2013, Zardes made his debut for the first-team as a substitute for the Galaxy in a 2–0 win over Real Salt Lake. On May 11, 2013, Zardes came on as a substitute in 67th min and scored his first goal for the Galaxy in a 3–1 loss against Vancouver Whitecaps. Zardes scored the only goal in a 1–0 victory over Chivas USA on June 23, 2013.
Zardes scored his first brace for the Galaxy against New England Revolution on July 16, 2014 in a 5–1 win. On September 5, 2014, Gyasi Zardes scored two goals in the Galaxy's 6–0 home win against Colorado Rapids. With his brace, Zardes made Major League Soccer history, passing Diego Fagundez to become the highest scoring Homegrown player in a single season.
On December 7, 2014, Zardes became the first Homegrown Player to score in the MLS Cup final. Zardes scored in the 53rd minute after receiving a cross from Stefan Ishizaki. In extra time, captain, Robbie Keane scored as Galaxy triumphs the New England Revolution 2–1, making LA Galaxy the first team to win the trophy five times. Zardes was the sixth highest scorer of the season with sixteen goals, and just three behind Robbie Keane.
After a breakout 2014 season in which he scored 19 goals across all competitions, he received his first ever international call up to represent the USA in January 2015, for matches against Chile and Panama. Zardes made his international debut on January 28, 2015, when he came on as a substitute for Clint Dempsey in the 68th minute against Chile. On February 8, 2015, Zardes made his first start for USMNT in a friendly against Panama, where Zardes provided an assist to Dempsey in the second goal as the U.S. won 2–0.
On June 5, 2015, Zardes scored his first goal for the United States in a friendly against the Netherlands. Zardes was also added to the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup United States roster. In a Group Stage game against Haiti, Zardes provided the game-winning assist to Clint Dempsey one minute after coming on as a substitute at halftime. This would help the United States clinch Group A and would see them go through to the knockout stages. Only July 18. 2015, Zardes scored his first goal in international competitive play for the United States against Cuba in their 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup quarter-final match which ended in a 6–0 victory.
- As of match played 16 June 2016.
|1||June 5, 2015||Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam-Zuidoost, Netherlands||Netherlands||1–1||4–3||Friendly|
|2||July 18, 2015||M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, United States||Cuba||2–0||6–0||2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|3||November 13, 2015||Busch Stadium, St. Louis, United States||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||5–1||6–1||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|4||28 May 2016||Children's Mercy Park, Kansas City, United States||Bolivia||1–0||4–0||Friendly|
|6||June 16, 2016||CenturyLink Field, Seattle, United States||Ecuador||2–0||2–1||Copa America Centenario|
- As of July 23, 2016
|USA||League||Open Cup||MLS Cup||North America||Total|
|2013||LA Galaxy||Major League Soccer||27||4||1||0||2||0||3||0||33||4|
|2014||LA Galaxy II (loan)||USL Pro||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||1|
- LA Galaxy
- List of current MLS players
- List of current Major League Soccer players with national team caps
- Homegrown Player Rule (Major League Soccer)
- "Gyasi Zardes College Bio".
- "Gyasi Zardes Player Profile".
- Baxter, Kevin (December 20, 2012). "Galaxy signs local star Gyasi Zardes, closes in on Carlo Cudicini – Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "LA Galaxy Res. 1–1 Seattle Sounders Res.".
- "Real Salt Lake 0–2 LA Galaxy".
- 3 – 1 FT. "Vancouver Whitecaps v Los Angeles live football scores | Soccer scores and live video". ESPNFC.com. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Chivas USA vs LA Galaxy 0–1". Soccerway. June 23, 2013.
- "LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution".
- "LA Galaxy vs. Colorado Rapids".
- Becker, Josie (September 5, 2014). "Gyasi Zardes ties single season record for Homegrown Player goals". LAG Confidential. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "Zardes becomes first Homegrown Player to score in MLS Cup". Sport Illustrated. December 7, 2014. Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- "Major League Soccer - Statistics - Goals".
- "Gyasi Zardes makes international debut as USMNT fall to Chile".
- "United States vs Panama 2–0".
- "U.S. wins in Netherlands after two late goals". BBC Sports. June 5, 2015.
- "Gyasi Zardes". National Football Teams. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- Gyasi Zardes profile at Soccerway
- Gyasi Zardes profile at Soccerway