Hàn River Bridge
|Han River Bridge (Song Han Bridge)
Cầu Sông Hàn
|Carries||Motor vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists|
|Locale||Da Nang, Vietnam|
|Official name||Cầu Sông Hàn|
|Design||Cable-stayed bridge, Swing bridge|
|Longest span||201 meters (659 ft) (x2)|
|Piers in water||1|
|Clearance below||25 meters (82 ft)|
In the middle of the night, traffic is stopped from crossing the Song Han Bridge and it swings on its axis to allow shipping traffic to pass along the river. The Song Han Bridge in Danang is a cable-stayed bridge that is lit up brightly at night. The area around the bridge is the location of Da Nang's cultural center.
The Song Han Bridge was built by the people of Da Nang. It is the first swing bridge to be built in Vietnam. The bridge is an important part of Danang's cityscape.
Bribery and Corruption case
Shortly after the bridge was completed, the contractor, Pham Minh Thong, was arrested. He was charged and jailed for stealing money from the project and for bribery, but the men who took the bribes were never revealed.
According to Radio Free Asia, the People's Procuracy of Da Nang City concluded in the Document No. 73/KSDT-KT (October, 2000) and Document No. 77/KSDT/KT (November 2000) sent to the Supreme People's Procuracy of Vietnam and Phan Dien (then-Secretary of Communist Party Committee of Danang) that Nguyen Ba Thanh received bribes from Pham Minh Thong (4.4 billion VND in total) in the construction projects of Hàn River Bridge and North-South Street in Danang. However, the case was eventually dropped. Vietnamese mass media (which, according to Human Rights Watch and Reporters Without Borders, are all strictly controlled by the government) were censored and even praised Thanh for his "many contributions" in the development of Da Nang City.
Proposed new bridge
Some of the traffic pressure will soon be taken off the bridge as the Da Nang regional government plans to build another bridge to traverse the Han River in Da Nang. Once the new bridge is completed tourists will be able to leave Da Nang International Airport on Nguyen Van Linh Highway and get to the city's beaches even quicker. The new Dragon River Bridge will be built in the shape of a dragon.
- Trần Mạnh Thường, Nguyễn Minh Tiến hiệu đính Việt Nam - Văn hóa và du lịch - Page 411 "Cầu sông Hàn, cây cầu văng dây sừng sững là thế, mà về đêm trở nên mềm mại làm sao. Với dãy đèn cao áp lung linh ánh nước càng làm cho cầu sông Hàn trở nên duyên dáng, diệu kỳ.
- Thanh Hải. Công trình xây dựng cầu sông Hàn đã bị rút ruột như thế nào?. VietNamNet. 2017-04-28. URL:http://vietnamnet.vn/xahoi/phapluat/2003/5/12981/. Accessed: 2017-04-28. (Archived by WebCite® at https://www.webcitation.org/6q3XBF7TK)
- "Two men of the same name and stories about anti-corruption - Part II". Radio Free Asia. Retrieved 16 February 2015. (Archived by WebCite® at https://www.webcitation.org/6q3WTCTjM)
- "Vietnam: Events of 2008". Human Rights Watch. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- 2017 WORLD PRESS FREEDOM INDEX: Vietnam was ranked 175/180