Häme (Swedish: Tavastland, Latin: Tavastia) is the name of a geographical region in Finland, associated with the Tavastians, or Häme people (hämäläiset), a subgroup of the Finnish people. The precise area referred to can vary depending on the context.
In contemporary contexts:
- Häme, an often vaguely defined area in Southern Finland associated with the Tavastians; the most prominent regions of contemporary Häme are:
- Tavastia Proper (Kanta-Häme)
- Päijänne Tavastia (Päijät-Häme)
- Pirkanmaa (historically, most of this area belonged to Satakunta, but today it is strongly associated with Häme)
- Central Finland (historically, most of this area unambiguously belonged to Tavastia, or Häme, but today the association is weaker)
- Place names including the element Häme in its genitive form Hämeen:
- Hämeenkatu, the main street of Tampere; streets bearing the same name can be found elsewhere in Finland as well
- Hämeenkyrö, a municipality in Pirkanmaa
- Hämeenlinna, the administrative centre of Tavastia Proper
- Hämeen linna, or Häme Castle, a medieval castle in Hämeenlinna, after which the city has been named
- Hämeentie, the longest street in Helsinki; streets bearing the same name can be found elsewhere in Finland as well
In historical contexts:
- Tavastia (Häme), a historical province within the Swedish realm from around the 13th century until 1809
- County of Nyland and Tavastehus (Uudenmaan ja Hämeen lääni), 1634–1809, roughly a combination of the historical provinces of Tavastia and Uusimaa
- Governorate of Nyland-Tavastehus (Uudenmaan ja Hämeen lääni), 1809–1831, the continuation of the preceding administrative entity within the Grand Duchy of Finland
- Governorate of Tavastehus (Hämeen lääni), 1831–1917, split off again from the Governorate of Nyland-Tavastehus
- Häme Province (Hämeen lääni), 1917–1997, the continuation of the preceding administrative entity within the independent Finland
- The Tavastian dialects, or Häme dialects (hämäläismurteet), of the Finnish language
- Häme Regiment, a unit of the Finnish Army located in Lahti
|This disambiguation page lists articles about distinct geographical locations with the same name.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.