||This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Privately held company|
|Industry||Furnitures / Luxury goods|
|Founder||Pehr Adolf Janson|
|Jan Ryde (Executive Chairman & Owner), Robert Carlén (CEO).|
|Products||High-end Mattress/beds, bedding, accessories|
Hästens Sängar AB, Hästen's Beds AB or simply Hästens (Swedish pronunciation: [hɛstens]); is a Swedish manufacturer established in 1852, today specializing in beds, bedlinen, pillows and lifestyle accessories.[not in citation given][dead link]
Hästens manufacture beds and mattresses by hand using natural materials like cotton, horse hair, wool and flax. Hästens retail stores also sell branded premium bedlinen, pillows, duvets and accessories. The company was founded by Pehr Adolf Janson in 1852 as a master saddler business and is still a family-owned company. David Janson shifted their focus in the early 1900s from making saddles to making beds. By 1952, a century after its foundation, they had become the official bedding supplier of Sweden’s royal court[not in citation given][dead link], a title they share with IKEA since 1984. The company continues to manufacture all beds in its factory in Sweden.
Pehr Adolf Janson (1830-1885) was awarded his master certificate in 1852 by King Oscar I of Sweden. Master saddlers were also makers of mattresses, since horsetail hair was an essential material for the pads that went into the carriage. At that time, becoming a master saddler in Sweden required the certificate to be issued by the King himself.
In the late 1800s, the family moved to Hed and Pehr Adolf's son Per Thure Janson decided to follow his father's path in becoming a master saddler. Per Thure started a company together with his son David Janson. The business of making beds took off and they were soon making more beds than saddles.
In 1939, British architect Ralph Erskine (1914–2005) travelled by bicycle to Sweden, where he later met David Janson who commissioned him to build the Hästens Factory, which was one of the first buildings that he designed in Sweden. It was designed by Erskine in 1948 and he also designed the further expansion of the factory in 1998, in Köping where the company is still located as of 2015[update].
- 1952 - Purveyor to the Swedish Royal Court
- 2006 - Swedish Trade Council Export Award & Best International Growth Company by Ernst & Young
- 2010 - Wallpaper* Design Award Best Bed
- 2011 - Palme d'Or de la Literie de Prestige
- 2013 - Signum Priset Sweden
- 2015 - Hurun Report: The Best of the Best Awards 2015
In 2000, a Swedish court ruled that Hästens was not allowed to advertise with phrases such as "The finest beds in the world" and "due to [our unique manufacturing process in Köping], we can offer 25 years warranty on springs and frames". The latter was, among other reasons, because the springs and frames were actually manufactured by a subcontractor. Many companies have tried to copy the check patterns and Hästens has successfully undertaken legal procedures in several countries against infringements and counterfeits. As of 2011, the phrase "At Hästens we set out to make the best beds in the world." is used.
- Dorothy Whitcomb. "Hästens taking super luxury far beyond Sweden". BedTimes Business Journal. Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- "The World of Hästens (company brochure)". Hästens.
- "Ikea Catalogues 1984/85". Archived from the original on May 16, 2014. Retrieved October 2009. Check date values in:
- Dagens Industri March 25th, 2014 "Slut med sömnlösa nätter"
- "Heritage". Archived from the original on January 11, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
- "Hästens Heritage". Hastens.com. Archived from the original on January 11, 2015.
- "Stockholm University". Stockholm University.
- "Köpings hemsida".
- "Marknadsdomstolen - Domar".
- "Marknadsdomstolen - Domar".
- Horsehair beds 'Sweden's export of the year'. The Local (2006)
- Dagens Industri March 24th, 2014 "Slut med sömnlösa nätter" page 28-29
- "Inauguración de la tienda Hästens en Madrid". Cámara de Comercio Hispano Sueca.
- "Glow Digital BlogTout sur la Brussels Japan Night ! - Glow Digital Blog". Glow Digital Blog.
- "List of Royal Warrant Holders of the Swedish court". Kungliga Hovleverantörer.
- "The local". The local.
- "Hästens wins the export prize". Dagens Industri.
- "Wallpaper* Design Awards 2010: The Interior Design Winners". Inventor Spot.
- "Hästens Bed makers". Wallpaper Magazine.
- Groupe Decoration Francaise Paris
- "Signumpriset" (PDF). PRESS RELEASE 24.01.2013.
- "Brand Eye - Vi mäter varumärkets styrka" (PDF).
- "Hurun Report". Hurun Report.
- Court ruling Dux v. Hästens. Marknadsdomstolen (2000). (In Swedish)
- Sveriges Radio. "Blå-vita rutor gav seger till Köpingsföretag".
- Best bed. Hastens.com. (2011) Archived March 31, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.