|Born||1954 (age 64–65)|
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego|
|Thesis||On the Action of the Symmetric Group on the Free Lie Algebra and on the Homology and Cohomology of the Partition Lattice (1988)|
|Doctoral advisor||Adriano Garsia|
|Institutions||Arizona State University |
Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
Hélène Barcelo (born 1954) is a mathematician from Québec specializing in algebraic combinatorics. Within that field, her interests include combinatorial representation theory, homotopy theory, and arrangements of hyperplanes. She is a professor emeritus of mathematics at Arizona State University, and deputy director of the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI). She was editor-in-chief of the Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, from 2001 to 2009.
Education and career
Barcelo completed her Ph.D. from the University of California, San Diego in 1988. Her dissertation, On the Action of the Symmetric Group on the Free Lie Algebra and on the Homology and Cohomology of the Partition Lattice, was supervised by Adriano Garsia.
She joined the Arizona State faculty after postdoctoral studies at the University of Michigan. She retired from Arizona State, becoming a professor emerita there, and became deputy director at MSRI in 2008.
- Birth year from WorldCat
- Hélène Barcelo: Deputy Director, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, retrieved 2017-11-20
- Personal Profile of Dr. Hélène Barcelo, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, retrieved 2017-11-04
- Hélène Barcelo at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- 2018 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2017-11-03
- 2019 Class of AWM Fellows, Association for Women in Mathematics, retrieved 2018-10-07