|Full name||Hélio José Vaz|
|Date of birth||19 December 1990|
|Place of birth||Montijo, Portugal|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|2009||→ Mafra (loan)||4||(0)|
|2010||→ Tondela (loan)||1||(0)|
|2011||→ Casa Pia (loan)||14||(4)|
|2011–2012||→ Atlético (loan)||14||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 May 2017.
Born in Montijo, Setúbal District, Vaz started playing with hometown club C.D. Montijo, whose youth system he joined at the age of 12. In 2008, for his last year as a junior, he signed with S.L. Benfica. Upon his arrival, he said that representing the latter was always a dream of his, and that he hoped it would also open the doors of the under-18 national team.
At the end of his youth career, and as Vaz was one of highest goalscorers throughout the season only behind Nélson Oliveira, Benfica decided to offer him a professional contract and loan him. He started out at C.D. Mafra, from whom he played on the opening stages of 2009–10. Due to the lack of playing time, he moved to fellow third division team C.D. Tondela for the remainder of the season.
In the following campaign, Vaz was a regular fixture in the early training sessions of Benfica's main squad, but in January 2011 he was loaned to Casa Pia A.C. from the third level. For 2011–12, in the same predicament, he joined Segunda Liga's Atlético Clube de Portugal, making his professional debut on 7 August 2011 by coming on as a 72nd-minute substitute in a 1–1 away draw against Portimonense S.C. for the Taça da Liga.
Subsequently, Vaz opted to terminate his contract with Benfica and join division three club U.D. Leiria. He scored a career-best ten goals in his debut season to help to a seventh-place finish. His performances attracted interest abroad, and he signed with Doxa Katokopias F.C. in the Cypriot First Division on a two-year deal, only to return to his previous team three months later.
- "Hélio Vaz assina contrato com o Benfica" [Hélio Vaz signs contract with Benfica]. Açoreano Oriental (in Portuguese). 11 April 2008. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Hélio Vaz, 22 anos, natural do Montijo e formado no Olímpico: ‘No plantel com Aimar, Cardozo, Luisão e outros’" [Hélio Vaz, aged 22, born in Montijo and developed in Olímpico: ‘In the squad with Aimar, Cardozo, Luisão and others’]. Diário da Região (in Portuguese). 7 June 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Mafra-União da Madeira: Mafra ganha nos penáltis" [Mafra-União da Madeira: Mafra wins on penalties]. Record (in Portuguese). 22 November 2009. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Abel Pereira (emprestado pelo Benfica) titular na vitória do Tondela; Hélio Vaz não jogou" [Abel Pereira (loaned by Benfica) starts in Tondela win; Hélio Vaz did not play] (in Portuguese). Ser Benfiquista. 25 February 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Portas fechadas no regresso ao trabalho" [Closed doors in return to work]. Record (in Portuguese). 23 August 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Enchente no treino das águias" [Sell-out in eagles practise]. Record (in Portuguese). 5 October 2010. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Madalena empata no campo do Casa Pia" [Madalena draws at Casa Pia] (in Portuguese). Rádio Pico. 13 March 2011. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Portimonense e Atlético empatam" [Portimonense and Atlético draw]. Record (in Portuguese). 7 August 2011. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "União de Leiria: Hélio Vaz poderá estar a caminho" [União de Leiria: Hélio Vaz could be on his way back] (in Portuguese). Agente Desportivo. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Chipre: Hélio Vaz no Doxa por duas temporadas" [Cyprus: Hélio Vaz in Doxa for two seasons]. Record (in Portuguese). 24 June 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "União de Leiria: Emiliano Té e Hélio Vaz são reforços confirmados" [União de Leiria: Emiliano Té and Hélio Vaz are confirmed additions] (in Portuguese). Agente Desportivo. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Hélio Vaz reforça Peniche" [Hélio Vaz strengthens Peniche] (in Portuguese). O Derbie. 1 January 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.