Central Hospital of Yaoundé
|Central Hospital of Yaoundé|
|Lists||Hospitals in Cameroon|
The Central Hospital of Yaoundé (In French, Hôpital Central de Yaoundé - HCY) is a hospital in the city of Yaoundé, Cameroon founded in 1933. It is Cameroon’s largest hospital. Simon Pierre Tchoungui (1916-1997), the former prime minister of East Cameroun, was medical superintendent of the hospital in 1960 before being appointed Minister of Health in 1961.
The hospital was originally a day facility, but since has gone through several structural changes and now offers 24/7 care. Treatment of HIV/AIDS is one of the main programs, with the day hospital following about 12,000 people who are living with HIV and 3,600 who have ARV treatment. The hospital is one of the two teaching hospitals in Yaoundé, the other being the University Teaching Hospital of Yaounde. A study of births at these two hospitals between 2002 and 2007 showed increasing frequency of triple pregnancies due to use of fertility treatments.
Each year the hospital conducts over 300 surgeries and assists with thousands of births. The hospital has the busiest trauma center in the city. A study of admission records in 2007 showed a total of 6,274 trauma patients admitted to the emergency ward. Of these, 71% were male, with a mean age of 29 years. 60% of the injuries were from traffic accidents and 22.5% were from assault. Based on the catchment area, this is a high rate of injury.
- "Overview". Central Hospital of Yaoundé. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Yaoundé". Health[e]Foundation. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- DeLancey, Mark D.; Mbuh, Rebecca Neh (30 April 2010). Historical Dictionary of the Republic of Cameroon. Scarecrow Press. p. 360. ISBN 978-0-8108-5824-4. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- E. Nkwabong; Foumsou Lhagadang; R. Mbu; P. N. Nana; L. Kouam; P. C. Ngassa (2011). "Triple Gestations in Two University Teaching Hospitals in Yaounde, Cameroon". Clinics in Mother and Child Health. Ashdin Publishing. 8. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- VICTORINE BIY (30 December 2010). "Cameroon: Yaounde Central Hospital - Excellence Rewarded". Cameroon Tribune. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Juillard C, Etoundi Mballa GA, Bilounga Ndongo C, Stevens KA, Hyder AA (January 2011). "Patterns of injury and violence in Yaoundé Cameroon: an analysis of hospital data". World J Surg. 35 (1): 1–8. doi:10.1007/s00268-010-0825-5. PMID 21046382.