Höhere Technische Lehranstalt
A Höhere Technische Lehranstalt (German for Higher Technical Education Institute, or in a transferred sense Technical College), commonly known as HTL, is an engineering-focused secondary school in Austria. As an umbrella term it is used for either
- Höhere Technische Lehranstalt (HTL, HTLA),
- Höhere Technische Bundeslehranstalt (HTBLA, HTBL, Federal Higher Technical Institute), or
- Höhere Technische Bundeslehr- und Versuchsanstalt (HTBLuVA, Federal Higher Technical Institute for Education and Experimentation).
These institutions are an important part of Austrian vocational education. HTLs specialise in disciplines such as civil engineering, electronics, electrical engineering, information technology, informatics, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, mechatronics and chemistry. There are 75 HTLs in Austria (as of 2016).
Types of Courses
Höhere Technische Lehranstalten generally offer four different types of courses:
- Höhere Abteilung (ISCED level 5) offers the most common type of courses at Austrian HTLs. The courses last five years and start with grade 9. After five years, students may complete the curriculum with a Diplomarbeit, a final graded project that requires several hundred hours of work. After that, a student has to pass a comprehensive examination: one written test in mathematics, an exam in a main technical subject, at least one in a language (German or English) and the final oral examinations. This is called Reife- und Diplomprüfung since the Austrian Reifeprüfung (Matura) is an integral part of it and graduates are formally enabled to attend university. This type of education has a number of similarities to Japanese colleges of technology (Kosen). After three years of work experience in engineering, graduates can apply for the Austrian professional title Ingenieur (pre-nominal letters: Ing.), literally engineer.
- Fachschule (ISCED level 3) courses last four years and start with grade 9. After four years, students have to complete a Technikerarbeit (a final examination project) and then pass the final examinations to graduate from HTL. Students can also attend the examinations for the Berufsreifeprüfung, but these examinations are voluntary. The Berufsreifeprüfung formally enables students to attend university.
- The so-called Abendschule (evening school) offers a type of course that is very similar to the Höhere Abteilung and intended for people who want to study while they work. These courses are organized in 8 semesters and are completed with a Reife- und Diplomprüfung just like the Höhere Abteilung.
- The fourth type of courses at HTLs are special post-secondary courses for students who have completed an apprenticeship, are master craftsmen or graduated from Gymnasium with Matura. These types of courses are also offered at the Höhere Abteilungen and end with the same qualifications as the five-year courses.
- The largest HTL in Austria with 3.500 students is the HTBLuVA Mödling, which is also the largest school in Europe.
- The oldest Austrian vocational school is the HTBLuVA Wien 5 Spengergasse in Vienna, established in 1758 by Maria Theresia.
- The HTBLVA TGM (Technologisches Gewerbe Museum) in Vienna has the highest school building in Austria (about 70m, 16 floors).
- The HTBLVA TGM also has the largest base area of any HTL in Austria.
Höhere Technische Lehranstalten in Austria
|HTL Eisenstadt||Burgenland||Eisenstadt||Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Aerospace engineering technology, Materials engineering; Fachschule mechanical engineering||950|
|HTLuVA Pinkafeld||Burgenland||Pinkafeld||Civil engineering, Computing and automation technologies, Computing and organisation, Mechanical engineering, Fachschule for civil und mechanical engineering, Kolleg "Facility Management"||1200|
|HTL 1 Klagenfurt||Carinthia||Klagenfurt||Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical engineering, Fachschule for mechatronics und electrical engineering||1080|
|HTL Mössingerstraße||Carinthia||Klagenfurt||Telecommunications, Computer engineering, Biomedical technology, Energy technologies and industriell electronics, Information technology, Fachschule for computing und communication technologies||1200|
|HTBLuVA Villach||Carinthia||Villach||Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Interior design and wood technologies, Informatics / Software Engineering, Cyber Security and Media Technology||1230|
|HTL Ferlach||Carinthia||Ferlach||Industrial technologies, Industrial design, Weapon technologies||~600|
|HTL Wolfsberg||Carinthia||Wolfsberg||Information systems, Management, Automation technologies||600|
|HTL Krems||Lower Austria||Krems||Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Urban planning, Information technology||~650|
|HTBLuVA Waidhofen/Y||Lower Austria||Waidhofen/Ybbs||Automation technologies, Electrical engineering, Engineering management, Fachschule for Electrical engineering with computing and networking technologies, Mechanical engineering||919|
|HTL St. Pölten / HTBLuVA St. Pölten||Lower Austria||Sankt Pölten||Engineering management, Information Technology, Electronics, Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering||~2200|
|HTBLuVA Wiener Neustadt||Lower Austria||Wiener Neustadt||Automation technologies, Electrical engineering, Information technology, Civil Engineering (Hochbau), Computing and organisation||1546|
|HTL Hollabrunn||Lower Austria||Hollabrunn||Electronics, Electrical engineering, Food technologies, Mechanical engineering, Industrial engineering, Information technology||~1500|
|IT-HTL Ybbs||Lower Austria||Ybbs an der Donau||Internet and Media technology, Network technologies||300|
|HTL Mistelbach||Lower Austria||Mistelbach||Health technology||119|
|HTBLuVA Mödling||Lower Austria||Mödling||Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Environmental technology, Electronics, Electrical engineering, Automotive engineering, Wood technologies, Interior design, Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Engineering management, Industrial engineering||3500|
|HTL Wieselburg (Josephinum)||Lower Austria||Wieselburg||Agriculture, Agricultural machinery, Food technology||850|
|HTL1 Bau und Design Linz||Upper Austria||Linz||Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau, Tiefbau and Bauwirtschaft), Construction and communication design, Print and digital media||1113|
|HTL Linz - Linzer Technikum||Upper Austria||Linz||Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical engineering and information technology||1900|
|HTL Steyr||Upper Austria||Steyr||Automotive engineering, Electronics and computer engineering, Mechatronics, Metal design||1290|
|HTL Wels||Upper Austria||Wels||Information technology, Electrical engineering, Mechatronics, Mechanical engineering, Chemical engineering||1433|
|HTL Braunau||Upper Austria||Braunau am Inn||Electronics, Electrical engineering, Mechatronics, Bionics, Computer engineering, Cybersecurity||1057|
|HTL Ried||Upper Austria||Ried im Innkreis||Mechanical engineering (Lightweight engineering, Agricultural & environmental engineering, Automation technology)||350|
|HTL Hallstatt||Upper Austria||Hallstatt||Interior design, Wood technology||500|
|HTL Grieskirchen||Upper Austria||Grieskirchen||Software Engineering / Informatics and Medical Software Engineering / Medical Informatics||445|
|HTL für Lebensmitteltechnologie||Upper Austria||Wels||Food technology||130|
|HTBLA Leonding||Upper Austria||Leonding||Computing and organisation, Evening School for Computing and organisation, Electronics, Fachschule for Electronics, Media Technology||936|
|HTL Traun||Upper Austria||Traun||Information and communication technology, Fachschule for computing||300|
|HTL Perg||Upper Austria||Perg||Computing and organisation, Fachschule for computing||267|
|HTL Neufelden ATN||Upper Austria||Neufelden||Automation technology, Engineering management||400|
|HTL Vöcklabruck||Upper Austria||Vöcklabruck||Mechanical engineering, Engineering - Environmental technology, Engineering - Facility Management; Engineering management - Information systems, Engineering management - Management||~1000|
|HTL Innsbruck Anichstraße||Tyrol||Innsbruck||Mechanical engineering, Electronics - Computer engineering, Electronics-Telekommunications, Electrical engineering, Information technology, Engineering management||~1800|
|HTL für Bau und Kunst Innsbruck||Tyrol||Innsbruck||Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Kolleg, Art and Design||~1000|
|HTL Fulpmes||Tyrol||Fulpmes||Mechanical engineering, Industrial technology, Materials engineering and product design||~200|
|HTL Jenbach||Tyrol||Jenbach||Mechanical engineering, Engineering management||~400|
|HTL Kramsach||Tyrol||Kramsach||Chemical engineering, focus chemical industrial engineering
|HTL Salzburg||Salzburg||Salzburg Stadt||Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Design, Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Electronics||1800|
|HTL Hallein||Salzburg||Hallein||Management, Information systems, Mechanical engineering, Ecodesign, sculpture design, Civil engineering, Cabinet making, Interior design, carpentry, Stonemasonry||1000|
|HTL Saalfelden||Salzburg||Saalfelden||Elektrotechnik u. Informationstechnik, Mechatronics, Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Fachschule for computing, communication technology and civil engineering||~600|
|HTBLuVA Graz - Gösting (BULME Graz)||Styria||Graz||Electronics-Computer engineering, Electronics-Telecommunications, Multimedia technology, Electronics-Networking technology, Electrical engineering -Information technology / Project management, Electrical engineering -Information technology / Automation, Mechanical engineering, Engineering management-Information systems, Engineering management-Management/ Sport/ Logistics/||2800|
|HTBLuVA Graz-Ortweinschule||Styria||Graz||Civil engineering, Art and Design||~1500|
|HTBL-Kapfenberg||Styria||Kapfenberg||Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Materials engineering||1200|
|HTL Zeltweg||Styria||Zeltweg||Mechanical engineering, Industrial technology; Civil engineering, Engineering management||~600|
|HTBLA Kaindorf||Styria||Kaindorf an der Sulm||Computing and organisation, Mechatronics, Automation||850|
|HTL Leoben||Styria||Leoben||Metallurgy, Logistics||183|
|I-HTL Bad Radkersburg||Styria||Bad Radkersburg||Electrical engineering||21|
|HTBLuVa Voitsberg||Styria||Voitsberg||Mechanical engineering||~100|
|HTL Weiz||Styria||Weiz||Mechanical engineering, Environmental engineering, Engineering management, Electrical engineering||1100|
|HTL Bregenz||Vorarlberg||Bregenz||Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering,
Engineering management, Fachschule for mechanical engineering, Fachschule for electrical engineering
|HTL Dornbirn||Vorarlberg||Dornbirn||Clothing technology, Information systems, Textile management, Chemical engineering,Fachschule for computing, Fachschule for clothing, Fachschule for textile chemistry||~1100|
|HTBLuVA Rankweil||Vorarlberg||Rankweil||Electronics, Fachschule for electronics, Civil engineering (with subdepartments Hochbau and Tiefbau), Kolleg for Interior design and wood technology||~740|
|Camillo Sitte Lehranstalt||Vienna||Landstraße||Civil engineering||1200|
|HTL Wien 3 Rennweg||Vienna||Landstraße||Mechatronics, Information technology, Computing||~1100|
|Schulzentrum Ungargasse, Wien 3||Vienna||Landstraße||Engineering management, Information technology, Fachschule for mechanical engineering, Leather design||>1000|
|HTBLVA Spengergasse||Vienna||Margareten||Medical Informatics, Informatics, Animation/Gamedesign and Interior/Surfacedesign, Business Informatics and Technical Management||1450|
|HTL Wien 10||Vienna||Favoriten||Electronics, Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Environmental engineering||1100|
|HTL Ottakring||Vienna||Ottakring||Electronics, Information technology, Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering, Computing and communication technology||1550|
|HBLVA für chemische Industrie||Vienna||Hernals||Biochemestry, Chemical-Informatics, Environmental engineering||1000|
|Technologisches Gewerbe Museum, TGM Wien||Vienna||Brigittenau||Electronics, Electrical engineering, Information technology, Mechanical engineering, Materials engineering, Engineering management, Industrial Engineering||3000|
|HTL Donaustadt||Vienna||Donaustadt||Information technology, Communication technology, Computing, Fachschule for Electronics||1600|
- www.bildungssystem.at - Information about the Austrian educational system