|• Total||0.66 km2 (0.25 sq mi)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||1,676/km2 (4,340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The village contains mostly older buildings along small roads. However, in the village's outer reach there are newly built four-storey buildings in "factory style" at the former factory.
Researchers believe that around the 12th century this was a marketplace, mainly because of its position. Hököpinge is located close to the sea and was well protected against wars inland, an ideal place for a marketplace.
The name Hököpinge comes from the Old Norse word Haukrs, which means "marketplace". In 1346 the name was spelled Hököpingel, in 1479 Hökiobinge and in 1567 Höykiöpinge.
On 11 November 2009 it was revealed that Vellinge Municipality would have the municipalities' first lodging for refugee children set up in a hostel in Hököpinge. The lodging for the refugee children was set up by the private company, Attendo Care, commissioned by Malmö Municipality. This was opposed by many politicians in Vellinge Municipality, claiming support of the inhabitants of Hököpinge. Vellinge hasn't accepted refugees before this.
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2005 och 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Framsida". Bruksparken.com. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Historia". Bruksparken.com. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Ensamma flyktingbarn till Vellinge". sr.se. 10 November 2009. Archived from the original on 29 November 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Vellinge residents back refugee children: poll - The Local". Thelocal.se. Archived from the original on 21 January 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Laddat om flyktingboendet - Regionala nyheter". svt.se. Archived from the original on 13 November 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Flyktingbarn på plats i Hököpinge - Vellinge - Sydsvenskan - Nyheter dygnet runt". Sydsvenskan.se. Archived from the original on 17 January 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- ""Kan vi så ska vi stoppa det" - Vellinge - Sydsvenskan - Nyheter dygnet runt". Sydsvenskan.se. Archived from the original on 5 January 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
|This article about a location in Skåne County, Sweden is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|