||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Chief of the General Staff of Turkey|
August 30, 1998 – August 28, 2002
Ahmet Necdet Sezer
|Preceded by||İsmail Hakkı Karadayı|
|Succeeded by||Hilmi Özkök|
|Born||1934 (age 82–83)
Bozüyük, Bilecik Province, Turkey
|Years of service||1957-2002|
Born in Bozüyük, Bilecik Province, Turkey, in December 1934, he completed his secondary schooling at the Işıklar Military High School in Bursa. He graduated from the Army Academy in 1955 as an artillery officer.
Upon commissioning, Kıvrıkoğlu underwent his officer's basic training at the Artillery Branch School in 1957. He spent the next eight years in a variety of artillery units as platoon and battery commander positions.
After graduating from the Armed Forces College in 1970, he served as planning officer at Operations Division of the Allied Forces Southern Europe (AFSOUTH) at Naples, Italy. Between 1972 and 1973, he served as instructor at the Army War College and as section chief at the Turkish General Staff and branch chief at the Turkish Land Forces Command. Kıvrıkoğlu commanded the Cadet Regiment of the Army Academy in Ankara from 1978 to 1980.
After graduating from the NATO Defence College in Rome, Italy, he was promoted to Brigadier General in 1980 and assigned to Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) in Mons, Belgium, where he served as the Chief of Operations Center from 1980 to 1983. Upon returning to Turkey, he assumed the Command of the 3rd Training Infantry and 11th Infantry Brigades between 1983 and 1984 respectively.
In 1984, Kıvrıkoğlu was promoted to Major General and assigned to NATO Allied Land Forces South-Eastern Europe (LANDSOUTHEAST) in İzmir, where he served as Chief of Staff. Later, he commanded the 9th Infantry Division in Sarıkamış from 1986 to 1988.
In 1988, he was promoted to Lieutenant General and became assistant Chief of Staff, Personnel, at the Turkish General Staff. From 1990-1993, he commanded the 5th Corps and then served as Undersecretary of Ministry of National Defence.
Prior to becoming Commander of the Turkish Armed Forces, he served as Commander of the Land Forces in 1997-1998.
Hüseyin Kıvrıkoğlu served between August 30, 1998, and August 28, 2002, as the 23rd Chief of the Turkish General Staff.
- (Turkish) State Medal of Honor
- Turkish Armed Forces Medal of Distinguished Service
- Order of Distinction Medal (Hilal-i-Jur'at, Pakistan)
- Order of the Star of Romania - The Rank of Grand Cross
- Class One Commander's Cross of Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland
- Order of National Security Merit, Tongil Medal of Korea
- Friendship Medal of Kazakhstan Republic
- Azerbaijan's Flag Medal
- Azerbaijan's Shohrat Order
- Turkish Armed Forces Medal of Honor.
- Army Academy Graduation Badge
- Post Graduate Badge
- Training and Educational Success Badge
- Operational Success Badge
- Administration and Logistics Service Badge
- NATO Service Badge
- Commander of the Turkish Armed Forces Identification Badge.
- Ongun, Selin (2008-07-31). "Amerikali 'Buddy'". Tempo (in Turkish). 1078. Archived from the original on 2008-10-05. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
1997’de TSK’nın Kıbrıs’taki Toros-2/97 adlı tatbikatında bir kaza yaşandı. Özel kuvvetlerden seken kurşun, komutan çadırında tatbikatı izleyen Albay Vural Berkay’a isabet etti. Albay Berkay’ın hemen önünde dönemin Kara Kuvvetleri Komutanı Orgeneral Hüseyin Kıvrıkoğlu oturuyordu. Kıvrıkoğlu, kurtuldu. Ergenekon iddianamesinde ifade veren tanık Zihni Çakır’ın eski Genelkurmay Başkanı Hüseyin Kıvrıkoğlu’nun Kara Kuvvetleri Komutanı’yken yaşadığı bu olaya da yer verildi.
- "DEATH CLOUDS EXERCISE SUCCESS". Turkish Press Review. DIRECTORATE GENERAL OF PRESS AND INFORMATION,OFFICE OF PRIME MINISTER. 1997-11-06. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Türkiyə Cümhuriyyəti Silahlı Qüvvələrinin Baş Qərargahının rəisi ordu generalı Hüseyin Kıvrıkoğlunun "Şöhrət" ordeni ilə təltif edilməsi haqqında AZƏRBAYCAN RESPUBLİKASI PREZİDENTİNİN FƏRMANI" [Order of President of Azerbaijan on awarding Chief of General Staff of Republic of Turkey Huseyin Kivrikoglu with Shohrat Order]. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
|Commander of the Turkish First Army
August 26, 1996–August 26, 1997
|Commander of the Turkish Army
August 28, 1997 –August 27, 1998
İsmail Hakkı Karadayı
|Chief of the General Staff of Turkey
August 30, 1998–August 28, 2002