H. L. de Silva
|Deshamanya Herman Leonard de Silva PC|
January 28 1928|
|Died||April 7, 2009(aged 81)|
St Peter's College, Colombo Colombo |
Nalanda College Colombo
|Occupation||Lawyer and Diplomat|
Herman Leonard de Silva (28 January 1928 – 7 April 2009) PC is a Sri Lankan lawyer and diplomat. He was the former Permanent Representative of Sri Lanka to the United Nations (New York). He was a former President and honorary life member of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka
De Silva was educated at St Peter's College, Colombo and Nalanda College Colombo. He subsequently entered the Faculty of Law at the University of Ceylon in 1948, graduated LLB in 1951, completed the Ceylon Law College examinations and qualified for the Bar in 1953.
After a period of working alongside Felix Dias Bandaranaike in the unofficial Bar he joined the Attorney General Department in 1955 as a Crown Counsel, a post he relinquished in 1970 to rejoin the unofficial Bar.
He was described as ""a master of the law, an eloquent speaker with the gift of presenting a case attractively, a good debater with a razor sharp intellect"" by Lakshman Kadirgamar  and SL Gunasekera has classed him as one of the greats in Sri Lankan Law along with his close friend and contemporary in the Attorney General Department Elanga Wikramanayake.
He is best known for his work as an expert on Constitutional Law, being a member Government’s peace delegation at peace talks.
De Silva was appointed a Senior Attorney (now referred to as Presidents Counsel after the 1978 Constitutional reform) by the President, admitted to the Roll of Honour of St. Peter’s College in 1984 and awarded the title ‘Vishva Prasadini (Nithiya)’ by the Government of Sri Lanka in 1997 in recognition of contributions to the advancement of the law and subsequently the title Deshamanya. The 2009 Bar Association Law Journal was dedicated to HL De Silva and the Bar Association awarded the Deshamanya H. L. De Silva Memorial award to the winner of a legal essay competition open to junior lawyers.
- "Forgotten Nalandian". 2009-07-04.
- "Golden Jubilee Anniversary of H. L. de Silva P.C. as an Attorney-at-Law By Lakshman Kadirgamar P.C., M.P". www.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "H L De Silva PC: The last of the 'Greats'By S.L Gunasekara Sunday April 12, 2009". sundaytimes.lk. April 12, 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "H.L. The "Hulftsdorp Lion": An Anniversary Tribute to H.L.de Silva by Kandiah Neelakandan". transcurrents.com. April 12, 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- The Island "'A chronicle for all seasons' Review by Gomin Dayasiri of the book: Sri Lanka - A Nation in Conflict by H. L. de Silva". 2008-09-27.
- rediff.com "West stymies proposal to declare Indian Ocean a peace zone". April 11, 1998.
- www.slmission.com "Former Ambassadors / Permanent Representatives of Sri Lanka".
- The Nation "H L de Silva PC: The last of the `greats'". 2009-04-12.