H. C. Verma
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Harish Chandra Verma|
3 April 1952|
|Alma mater||Patna Science College, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur|
|Known for||Concepts of Physics Vol. I & II|
|Doctoral advisor||Prof. GN Rao|
Harish Chandra Verma (born 3 April 1952) is an Indian experimental physicist and a retired professor at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur since 1994. His field of research is nuclear physics.
He has authored several books on physics at the graduate, undergraduate and school levels. His most popular work is the two-volume book Concepts of Physics. He has co-founded initiatives like Shiksha Sopan for the social upliftment of the children of the economically weaker section living near the IITK campus. According to his website, he is currently working on a book dealing with electrostatics, magnetostatics and electrodynamics at the undergraduate level.
H. C. Verma spent most of his childhood in Patna and this can be reflected in some texts in his book. He was trained in basic arithmetic by his father Shri Ganesh Prasad Verma, a teacher. Verma has been through the sweet and sour experiences of India's school education system, and this gave him low interest towards studies throughout his school years; until high school, due to which he even struggled to pass his exams. After he graduated high school, he entered Patna Science College, which was a place that moulded this normal school boy into a confident and bright adolescent.
Patna Science College's environment was totally different than his former school. The teachers were bright, enthusiastic and encouraging. As a student who struggled for passing marks was changed into a third place student in Patna University, receiving a B.Sc. (Honours) degree in Physics. From 1975 to 1977, Verma joined the IIT Kanpur for a M.Sc. and was placed as a top student with a performance index of 9.9 out of 10.0. He then chose to remain at IIT Kanpur for his doctorate. Verma received a PhD degree in less than three years.
Patna Science College
Dr. Verma joined IIT Kanpur in 1994 as assistant professor. Here, he taught many courses, guided M. Sc. and PhD students, authored a book "Quantum Physics", and pursued research in experimental nuclear physics. While at IIT Kanpur, apart from his regular assignments, he took many socio-educational initiatives for the benefit of education and society. Some of these initiatives are School Physics Project, Siksha Sopan, and Utsahi Physics Teachers. He retired from formal teaching on 30 June 2017, after 38 years in Teaching Physics.
He has published 139 research papers for various journals. He has also written several books on Physics for school and intermediate levels. Of these, Concepts of Physics has become a widely known and recommended book on the subject.
- Concepts of Physics Part-1, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, 1992, ISBN 8177091875
- Concepts of Physics Part-2, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, 1992, ISBN 8177092324
- Quantum Physics, Surya Publication, ISBN 9788192571409
- Foundation Science Physics for class 9, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, ISBN 9788177097313
- Foundation Science Physics for class 10, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, ISBN 9350270064
- Nuclear Physics: Fundamentals and Applications (organised by National Program for Technology Enhanced Learning, NPTEL)
- "Learning Physics through Simple Experiments" (Massive Online Open Course in 2016) Web page
- Physics of Semiconductors (Massive Online Open Course in 2017) Web page
- "Profile of DR. H. C. Verma". Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Spreading the light of knowledge". The Tribune. 31 August 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Electromechanics". HC Verma's webpage. iitk.ac.in.
- Singh, Jitender. "Biography of Dr. H. C. Verma". www.concepts-of-physics.com. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Verma, H C. "Prof. H C Verma". H C Verma. Retrieved 10 April 2018.