H. Emilie Cady
Harriet Emilie Cady
|Died||January 3, 1941 (aged 92)|
|Parent(s)||Oliver Barlow Cady|
Cornelia A. Philips
Harriet Emilie Cady (July 12, 1848 – January 3, 1941) was an American homeopathic physician and author of New Thought spiritual writings. Her 1896 book Lessons in Truth, A Course of Twelve Lessons in Practical Christianity is now considered one of the core texts on Unity Church teachings. It is the most widely read book in that movement. It has sold over 1.6 million copies since its first publication, and has been translated into eleven languages and braille.
She was born on July 12, 1848, in Dryden, New York, to Oliver Barlow Cady and Cornelia A. Philips. Cady's first job was as a schoolteacher in a one-room schoolhouse in her hometown. In the late 1860s, she decided to pursue the field of medicine, and enrolled in the Homeopathic Medical College of the State of New York She graduated in 1871 and became one of the first woman physicians in America.
Spiritual development and writing career
Introduced to the teachings of Albert Benjamin Simpson, Cady became deeply involved in spiritual and metaphysical studies. She was inspired and influenced by Biblical teachings and the philosophy of Ralph Waldo Emerson. She was taught by Emma Curtis Hopkins, the New Thought "teacher of teachers" and a student of Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy.
Cady associated with several prominent figures in the New Thought movement of the time, including: Emma Curtis Hopkins, Divine Science minister Emmet Fox, Ernest Holmes, founder of Religious Science, and Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, co-founders of Unity Church. Finding The Christ in Ourselves, a pamphlet she had written and sent unsolicited to Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, was published by them in the October 1891 issue of Thought. Beginning in 1892, a series of articles titled Lessons in Truth by Dr. Cady were published in Unity magazine. This material later was compiled into a book and was the first book Unity published.
- Lessons in Truth, A Course of Twelve Lessons in Practical Christianity ISBN 1-4515-9726-6
- How I Used Truth ISBN 1-5960-5538-3
- God, a present help ISBN 0-8715-9044-1
- The Complete Works of H. Emilie Cady ISBN 0-8715-9289-4
- Coming into Freedom: Emilie Cady's Lessons in Truth for the 21st Century Ruth L. Miller Pd.D. ISBN 0-9453-8523-4
- Vahle(2002), p71
- Gale Group (Creator) (June 2004). Contemporary Authors. Volume 221. Thomson Gale. ISBN 0-7876-6701-3.
- Pomeroy, Ella (1946). "From Medicine to Metaphysics". New Thought Bulletin: 3–5.
- Religious Leaders of America, 2nd ed. Gale Group, 1999.
- Mosley, Glenn (2006) New Thought, Ancient Wisdom, Temple Foundation Press, p. 9.
- "Dr. H. Emilie Cady. She Was a Retired Physician and Writer. Dies Here at 92". New York Times. January 4, 1941. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
Emilie Cady, retired physician, died yesterday at her home, 420 West Street, after an illness of six months. She was 92 years old. Born in Dryden, NY, Dr. Cady ...
- Vahle, Neal (September 2002). The Unity Movement: Its Evolution and Spiritual Teachings. Templeton Foundation Press. 504 pages. ISBN 1-890151-96-3.
- Gale Group (Creator) (June 2004). Contemporary Authors. Volume 221. Thomson Gale. p. 77. ISBN 0-7876-6701-3.