H. Frank Carey Junior-Senior High School
|H. Frank Carey High School|
|230 Poppy Avenue
Franklin Square, New York 11010
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Sewanhaka Central High School District|
|Enrollment||1,634 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.6:1|
H. Frank Carey High School is a public high school located in Franklin Square, New York serving students in the seventh through twelfth grades from the towns of Franklin Square, Garden City South, West Hempstead, and Elmont. The school's principal was Valerie Angelillo up until the 2016-2017 school year, when she was replaced by Christopher Fiore.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,634 students and 98.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 16.6:1. There were 110 students (6.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 30 (1.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
H. Frank Carey High School was constructed in 1956 in the Long Island town of Franklin Square. The school was named after then Board of Education President, H. Frank Carey. During the 1999-2000 academic year, H. Frank Carey High School was recognized as a National School of Excellence.
The following sports are offered at Carey:
- Cross country
- Field hockey
- Track-winter and spring
- Bruce Arena, coach of the United States men's national soccer team. Arena previously managed the U.S. from 1998-2006, presiding over a run to the 2002 World Cup quarterfinals. Arena also won two Gold Cups and qualified the U.S. for the 2006 World Cup, where they disappointingly crashed out in the group stage. From 2007-2016 he managed the LA Galaxy, where he won MLS Cup three times and the Supporters' Shield twice.
- Rich Davis (né Rich Vilchitski), a radio personality on the Covino and Rich show and the Morning Mashup on Sirius XM Radio. He is also a host on SNY TV.
- Ira Flatow, host of PRI's Science Friday.
- Michael J. Massimino, NASA Astronaut of two Space Shuttle missions, both of which serviced the Hubble Space Telescope, including the historic final repair mission.
- Mike Tucci, Actor, played Sonny in "Grease" with John Travolta and in TV show "Diagnosis: Murder."
- Al Trautwig, MSG network Broadcaster.
- School data for H Frank Carey High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Carey Earns Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award
- Team Websites / Team Websites