|Products||Pornographic films, Sex toys|
h.m.p. (from Houyuu Media Produce 芳友メディアプロデ) is a Japanese company which is involved in adult entertainment including the production and sales of adult videos (AV) and the marketing of adult toys and sex aids.
The company, headquartered in the Bunkyo, Tokyo ward of Tokyo, was founded in 1981 under the name Samm (サムビデオ Samu Bideo?), making it one of Japan's oldest adult video firms. The Samm label's name was taken from S&M and that genre dominated the company's videos in the early 1980s but the direction changed in the mid-1980s under the influence of three directors, Kaoru Toyoda, Ryutaro Kanno and Yukihiko Shimamura. In 1984 the Miss Christine label was created for videos with single featured actresses. The Tiffany label came later and was made popular by actress Hikaru Hoshino.
Among early AV actresses who performed for h.m.p. were Keiko Nakazawa who appeared for the Samm label with the video Pakkeeji Zenmen o Hyōji released in 1986, Rena Murakami, who debuted on the company's Miss Christine label in March 1988, and AV Idol Yumika Hayashi who made her debut with the Miss Christine video Shigamitsuku 18-sai: ojōsama wa shitanai in June 1989. In the decade of the 1990s, Maiko Yūki also made her debut with h.m.p.'s Miss Christine label.
Bringing his own particular style was former pink film director and screenwriter Shuji Kataoka who joined the company in the early 1990s. Another influential director at h.m.p. was Company Matsuo who made videos with the studio starting in 1996 while he was still primarily working for V&R Planning.
At the beginning of 2010, h.m.p. had a capital of 100 million yen (about $1 million). Their official website h.m.p.online sells a variety of goods including adult DVDs (some on Blu-ray), downloadable video content and adult toys. The website also contains a valuable database of over 3700 h.m.p. titles which can be searched by title, series, genre, media and date.
In July 2005, h.m.p., along with two other Japanese AV producers (Glay'z and TMA), attempted to expand their offerings into a new medium. In the controversial venture frowned upon by Sony, h.m.p. offered adult videos for UMD media, the proprietary disc format used in the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP). By early 2006, according to company spokesperson Yumiko Okazaki, sales in Japan "weren't bad" but were far less than the same titles on DVD or VHS. She said the company would release another set in 2006. They were also offered overseas by JList.com whose founder, Peter Payne, estimated sales of UMD discs at about 500 a month. The provocative h.m.p. advertising campaign for the PSP discs touted the advantages of portable porn.
The discs featured such h.m.p. superstars as Risa Coda and Hikaru Koto and in addition to two hours of video, many contained adult minigames playable on the PSP. The last of the discs, labeled with ID codes HOUM-00001 to HOUM-00013, was released April 21, 2006.
Over its long history a number of AV idols have starred in h.m.p. videos. These include:
- Minori Aoi
- Mai Asakura
- Ami Ayukawa
- Mari Ayukawa
- Risa Coda
- Mai Haruna
- Yumika Hayashi
- Ryo Hitomi
- Anri Hoshino
- Hikaru Hoshino
- Kurumi Hoshino
- Jun Kusanagi
- Bunko Kanazawa
- Mariko Kawana
- Hikaru Koto
- Hitomi Kudo
- Miho Maeshima
- Rena Murakami
- Kyoko Nakajima
- Keiko Nakazawa
- Nao Oikawa
- Madoka Ozawa
- Hitomi Shiraishi
- Akira Watase
- Riria Yoshikawa
- Maiko Yuki
- "h.m.p. online Top" (in Japanese). h.m.p. online. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- 特定商取引法に基づく表記 (in Japanese). h.m.p. online. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- Otsubo, Kemuta (February 20, 2009). アダルトビデオクロニクル 81’～85’/2 (in Japanese). All About. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- 1980年代 (in Japanese). h.m.p. online. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- 禁姦色. (in Japanese). www.hmp.jp. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- 1988年 （昭和63年 (in Japanese). AV 研究所 (AV Research Laboratory). Archived from the original on 2011-06-20. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "1989" (in Japanese). AV 研究所 (AV Research Laboratory). Archived from the original on 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "1995" (in Japanese). AV 研究所 (AV Research Laboratory). Archived from the original on 2009-12-05. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- "会社概要 (Profile)" (in Japanese). h.m.p. online. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "h.m.p. online Catalog" (in Japanese). h.m.p. online. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Frowns On PSP UMD Porn, Can't Stop Sales". GameInformer. June 17, 2005. Archived from the original on 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "PSP procures porn in Japan". GameSpot.com. June 2, 2005. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "Adult content producers eye PSP, iPod". PCWorld. January 13, 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "PSP Gets 'Lift' With Japanese Ad". GameSetWatch. February 2, 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "倖田梨紗 Risa Koda UMD" (in Japanese). www.hmp.jp. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "古都ひかる Hikaru Koto UMD" (in Japanese). www.hmp.jp. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "h.m.p. risa (UMD Video) (PSP)". Gamespy. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "UMD Video Database - hmp". www.umddb.net. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "Movie Makers h.m.p.". Urabon Navigator. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "動画 ビデオ > メーカー > h.m.p". DMM. Retrieved 2009-01-17.