|Herbert Berghof Studio|
|School type||Acting studio|
The HB Studio (Herbert Berghof Studio) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization offering professional training in the performing arts through classes, workshops, free lectures, theater productions, theater rentals, a theater artist residency program, as well as full-time study through their International Student Program and Uta Hagen Institute.
Located in Greenwich Village, New York City, HB Studio offers training and development to aspiring and professional artists in a variety of areas, including acting, directing, playwriting, musical theatre, movement and the body, dialect study (speech and voice), scene study analysis, screenwriting and classes for young people. Select classes require an audition for admission.
In 1948, Uta Hagen joined the Studio as Berghof's artistic partner, and the two wed ten years later. Her master classes led to the writing of her books Respect for Acting and A Challenge for the Actor.
In 2010, HB Studio founded the Uta Hagen Institute, which offers full-time immersion in the practical approach to acting craft that characterized Uta Hagen's master classes and classic acting texts. Its two key programs, The Hagen Summer Intensive and The Hagen Core Training, are highly structured, integrated courses for students with serious professional and artistic intent.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Notable alumni include Caroline Aaron, Christopher Abbott, Devon Abner, F. Murray Abraham, Debbie Allen, Rae Allen, Mary Anthony, Marco Aponte, Matthew Arkin, Rose Arrick, Blanche Baker, Caroll Baker, Bob Balaban, Anne Bancroft, Susan Batson, Byrdie Bell, Candice Bergen, Jeff Bridges, Matthew Broderick, Stockard Channing, Jill Clayburgh, Robert Culp, Robert De Niro, Daniel DeWeldon, Whoopi Goldberg, George Roy Hill, Hal Holbrook, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Harvey Keitel, Ricki Noel Lander, Jessica Lange, Jack Lemmon, Kenneth Lonergan, Laurence Luckinbill, Richard Lynch, Anne Meara, Marsha Mason, Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, Cynthia Nixon, Dan (Dan-O) O'Connor, Al Pacino, Geraldine Page, Sarah Jessica Parker, Charles Nelson Reilly, Christopher Reeve, Jason Robards, Herbert Ross, Kyra Sedgwick, Ray Sharkey, Maureen Stapleton, Jon Stewart, Jerry Stiller, Barbra Streisand, Carol Ann Susi, Sigourney Weaver, David Serero, Fred Ward and Gene Wilder.
- Peter B. Flint (November 6, 1990). "Herbert Berghof, Actor, Director And Eminent Acting Teacher, 81". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- on YouTube
- DanOSongs.com, "FAQ"; accessed 2018.05.16.
- "New found fame hard on actor's nerves". The Phoenix. August 25, 1980. p. A9. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Hughes, Jason (November 11, 2014). "Carol Ann Susi, Big Bang Theory's Mrs. Wolowitz, Dead at 62". TheWrap. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- Official website
- HB Studio records, 1939–2009, held by the Billy Rose Theatre Division, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
- "HB Studio and HB Playwrights Foundation to Honor Stiller and Meara Nov. 10" by Andrew Gans, Playbill, November 5, 2008