(regarding the acronyms in the above emissions chart:
AVL= Average Levels?
CNG=Compressed Natural Gas
HCNG= Hydrogen and CNG blend
NOX= Nitrogen Oxides
NMHC= Non-Methane Hydrocarbons?
THC= Total Hydrocarbons?
CO= Carbon Monoxide)
HCNG dispensers can be found at Hynor (Norway) Thousand palms and Barstow, California, Fort Collins, Colorado (all US), Chongqing and Shanxi (China), Pico Truncado (Argentina), Islamabad (Pakistan), Dunkerque (France), Gothenburg Sweden, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Emilia-Romagna, Lombardia (Italy), Dwarka and Faridabad (Delhi), India and the BC hydrogen highway in Canada.
HCNG for mobile use is premixed at the hydrogen station.
In the town of Nes on the island of Ameland in the Netherlands, a four-year (2008-2011) field test was carried out where 20% hydrogen was added to the local distribution net supplying a complex of 14 apartments. The appliances involved were kitchen stoves, condensing boilers, and micro-CHP boilers.
To get the most out of an internal combustion engine in transportation if higher levels of hydrogen are added, modifications have to be made to the engine and the control strategy. The hydrogen in the blend leads to lower CO2 emissions.
Codes and standards
The National Fire Protection Association 52 presently covers CNG and hydrogen fueling stations. Blends with < 20% hydrogen by volume are treated identically to CNG. For the use of blends with more than 30-40 % of hydrogen in volume decision support tools for the design are used to ensure safe use.
- International hydrogen fuel and pressure vessel forum 2010
- Test of blends of hydrogen and natural gas in a light-duty vehicle
- Development of HCNG blended fuel engine with control of NOx emissions
- Hydrogen enriched compressed natural gas
- Hydrogen-enhanced natural gas vehicle program
- Chongqing Wuzhoulong Works with Tsinghua University for HCNG Buses
- Hydrogen-enriched compressed natural gas as a fuel for engines
- HCNG in China
- Sxgxny (Shanxi)
- Argentina’s first HCNG patrol car
- Prime Minister Syed Yousaf Raza Gillani supports non-stop CNG loading in Pakistan
- PM dedicate three gas fields for CNG Industry, HCNG to import immediately with zero import duty
- ALT-HY-TUDE Project
- Position Paper: Natural gas – hydrogen blends technology
- Petrobras and the infrastructure for hydrogen supply in Brazil
- Hydrogen-methanemixtures: vehicle tests performed by ENEA
- Regione Lombardia: 10 hydromethane Pandas
- Italian highway presents first prototype of hydrogen-methane Iveco Ecodaily
- Successful adoption of CNG and emerging CNG-H2 program in India
- Automotive research body develops greener fuel engine for light vehicles
- Hydrogen–CNG Fuel To Debut During Games
- Pilot project on hydrogen injection in natural gas on island of Ameland
- Ameland Field testing
- Using the existing natural gas system for hydrogen
- A study on quasi-dimensional combustion model of a spark ignition HCNG engine suitable for various hydrogen fractions (SAE 2008)
- Natural gas vehicle research roadmap -Pag.22
- High-percentage hydrogen/cng blend Ford F-150 operating summary
- Hydrogen enriched natural gas technology-pag.36
- Hydrogen and natural gas blends; Converting light and heavy duty vehicles
- Use of blends of hydrogen and natural gas in urban vehicles in the transition towards an hydrogen economy
- Decision Support Tool