|Traded as||BSE: 500180
BSE SENSEX Constituent
CNX Nifty Constituent
|Industry||Banking, Financial services|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Aditya Puri (MD)|
Finance and Insurance
|Revenue||₹10,588.1 crore (US$1.6 billion) (2016)|
|Profit||₹3,238.9 crore (US$480 million) (2016)|
|Total assets||₹755,100 crore (US$110 billion)(2016)|
|Total equity||₹507.1 crore (US$75 million) |
Number of employees
|87,555 (April 2016)|
HDFC Bank is an Indian banking and financial services company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It has about 87,555 employees and has a presence in Bahrain, Hong Kong and Dubai. HDFC Bank is the second largest private bank in India as measured by assets. It is the largest bank in India by market capitalization as of February 2016. It was ranked 69th in 2016 BrandZTM Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands.
In 1994 HDFC Bank was incorporated, with its registered office in Mumbai, India. Its first corporate office and a full service branch at Sandoz House, Worli was inaugurated by the then Union Finance Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
As of June 30, 2016, the Bank’s distribution network was at 4,541 branches and 12,013 ATMs.
Products and services
Market leader in e-commerce, HDFC Bank provides a series of digital offerings like - 10 second personal loan, Chillr, PayZapp, SME Bank, Watch Banking, 30-Minute Auto Loan, 15-minute Two-Wheeler Loan, e-payment gateways, Digital Wallet, etc.
HDFC Bank provides a number of products and services which includes Wholesale banking, Retail banking, Treasury, Auto (car) Loans, Two Wheeler Loans, Personal loans, Loan Against Property and Credit Cards.
The latest entry in the league is 'Project AI', under which HDFC Bank, over the next few weeks, would deploy robots at select bank branches. These robots will offer options such as cash withdrawal or deposit, forex, fixed deposits and demat services displaying on the screen to persons coming into the branch.
HDFC Bank merged with Times Bank in February, 2000. This was the first merger of two private banks in the New Generation Private Sector Banks category. In 2008, Centurion Bank was acquired by HDFC Bank. HDFC Bank Board approved the acquisition of CBoP for Rs. 9,510 crore in one of the largest mergers in the financial sector in India.
The equity shares of HDFC Bank are listed on Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India. Its American Depository Shares are listed on NYSE and the Global depository receipt are listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange where two GDRs represent one equity share of HDFC Bank..
|Shareholders (as of 31 December-2015)||Shareholding|
|Promoter Group (HDFC)||21.57%|
|Foreign Institutional Investors (FII)||32.4%|
HDFC Bank has taken several steps as a part of their Corporate Social Responsibility. It has collaborated with several NGOs to assist in its activities.
|Sustainable Livelihood||Provide empowerment to the rural section of the country, especially women.||Conducts training for occupational skills, credit counselling, capacity building program, sustainable livelihood initiative|
|Financial Literacy||Financial literacy in 600 schools across Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.||Rural financial literacy programs under the aegis of RBI.|
|Education||Aim to making every child literate with quality education.||Friends Union for Energising Lives (FUEL), cover 100 children under Jayaprakash Narayan Memorial Trust’s Vidya and Child Programme.|
|Training||Aimed at formal training and development of youth||ETASHA, support SGBS Trust, tied up with Hope Foundation|
|Community Initiatives||Focused on sustainable development with economic growth||Partnered with Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR), promote rain water harvesting, blood donation campaigns|
Awards and recognition
- Best Banking Performer, India in 2016 by Global Brands Magazine Award.
|Best Performing Branch in Microfinance among Private sector bank by NABARD, 2016||Award for Best Performance in Microfinance||KPMG study of India’s Best Banks||Bank of the year & best digital banking initiative award 2016|
|AIMA Managing India Awards 2015||Business leader of the year- Aditya Puri||BrandZ Rankings||Most Valued brand in India for third successive year|
|FinanceAsia poll on Asia's Best Companies 2015||Best managed public company - India|
|Barron's||World's 30 Best CEOs - Aditya Puri|
|J. P. Morgan Quality Recognition Award||Best in class straight through processing rates|
- "HDFC Bank on the Forbes Asia's Fab 50 Companies List". Forbes. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Balance Sheet of HDFC Bank". moneycontrol.
- "HDFC Bank Q1 net profit at Rs.3238.9 crore; Gross NPA at 1.04%".
- "HDFC Bank Quarterly Results".
- "FINANCIAL RESULTS (INDIAN GAAP) FOR THE QUARTER AND YEAR ENDED MARCH 31, 2016" (PDF). hdfcbank.com.
- "hdfcbank.com" (PDF). FINANCIAL RESULTS (INDIAN GAAP) FOR THE QUARTER AND YEAR ENDED MARCH 31, 2016. Sharekhan.
- "Times of India". HDFC Bank opens Branch in Dubai. Times of India. August 25, 2014.
- "HDFC Bank most valuable brand in India: WPP study". Livemint. Livemint. September 10, 2015.
- "Largest bank by Market capitalization". MoneyControl. MoneyControl.
- "HDFC Bank among top 100 Most Valuable Global brands" (PDF). hdfcbank.com.
- "HDFC Bank reports 20% jump in net profit". The Hindu Business Line. July 21, 2016.
- "digiqom.com/clientnews/hdfcbank". digital offering.
- "HDFC Bank – About Banking Services, Loans Scheme, Award, Contact Address and more". business.mapsofindia.com. Retrieved 2016-07-16.
- "Financial Express". Soon, robot to greet you at HDFC Bank. August 29, 2016.
- "FirstPost". At HDFC Bank, a robot will soon guide you for cash withdrawal, deposit etc. August 29, 2016.
- "HDFC Bank: Reports, Company History, Directors Report, Chairman's Speech, Auditors Report of HDFC Bank - NDTVProfit.com". profit.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2016-07-16.
- "HDFC Bank to acquire Centurion Bank of Punjab". Banknet India.
- Global Brands Magazine Award 2016 winners
- "HDFC Bank wins microfinance award from NABARD in Goa". Times of India. January 22, 2016. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Bank of the Year/ Digital Bank: HDFC BANK". Business Today. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "AIMA Managing India Awards 2015 – 6th Edition". Affairs Cloud. April 18, 2015.
- "livemint". HDFC Bank is still India’s most valuable brand: Brandz ranking. September 22, 2016.
- "Asia's best managed companies, part 3". FinanceAsia. March 20, 2015.
- "HDFC Bank MD Aditya Puri in Barron's list of 30 best CEOs". Times of India. March 22, 2015.
- "Top 10 Banks in India 2015". MBA Skool.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HDFC Bank.|