HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mr. Ritesh Kumar MD|
|Products||General insurance, Vehicle insurance (Private Car & Two Wheeler Insurance) Health Insurance, Travel Insurance, Home Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, Commercial Insurance, Rural Insurance|
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Limited is a joint venture between HDFC Ltd. and ERGO International AG, a Germany-based company that is part of the Munich Re Group. HDFC holds 51 per cent, and ERGO the other 49 per cent. The firm operates in 91 Indian cities with over 108 branches and 2,000 staff members.
In 2002, HDFC Ltd. and ERGO International AG formed a general insurance joint venture company, named HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Limited with its headquarter in Mumbai. Under the agreement, ERGO acquired 26 per cent share, the rest being held by HDFC. During its initial years the company saw a slump and recorded an underwritten Gross premium of Rs. 196.78 crores (FY 2006-07) as against Rs. 206.89 crore in the previous year (FY 2005-06). The company made a strong come back and escalated its GWP to Rs.239.69 crores (FY 2006-07).
The firm is a Public Company and is categorized as Indian Non-Government Company. The company’s authorized share capital is Rs. 6,000,000,000 and its paid up capital is Rs. 5,386,202,600. It received an ISO Certification in 2010.
In June 2016, the company announced the buyout of the L&T General Insurance for around Rs 551 crore, this was around 1.1 times the gross premium of the latter. The merger completed on 23 August 2017.
Current financial status (FY 2016-17)
The third largest general insurance company in the private sector, the firm has attained a Gross Written Premium (GWP) of 2,252.4 Crores and Net Written Premium (NWP) of Rs. 999.1 Crores. Its market share grew from 4% (at the end of the FY 2015-16) to 4.9% (FY 2016-17). The company sold over 5.5 million policies through its 114 branches and various channel partners.
Products and services
- Retail Products - Motor Insurance, Health Insurance, Travel Insurance, Home Insurance, Personal Accident
- Rural Products - Gramin Suraksha Bima, Parivar Suraksha Bima, Cattle Insurance, Weather Insurance, Crop Insurance
- Commercial Products - Liability Insurance, Property Insurance, Engineering Insurance
- Rated iAAA by ICRA which indicates the firm’s highest paying ability.
- Awarded the Best Insurance Company in Private Sector - General by the World HRD Congress at ABP NEWS - Banking, Financial Services & Insurance Awards 2014.
- Awarded the Best General Insurance Company in India by International Alternative Investment Review (IAIR) in 2013 and 2014.
- "Board of Directors & Key Persons - HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company".
- "About HDFC Ergo".
- "Ergo buys 23% stake in HDFC". Retrieved 14 Dec 2017.
- "HDFC concludes sale of 23% stake". Retrieved 14 Dec 2017.
- "Joint press release issued by HDFC and ERGO".
- "HDFCErgo ISO Certification" (PDF). Retrieved 14 Dec 2017.
- "HDFC Ergo buys L&T General insurance". Retrieved 14 Dec 2017.
- "HDFC ERGO Annual Report FY 2016-17" (PDF).
- "HDFC ERGO Awards and Recognition".
- "HDFC ERGO iAAA rating" (PDF).
- "ABP News BFSI Awards 2014".
- "IAIR Awards 2014".