|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: HDS|
|Predecessor||Professional services division of The Home Depot|
|Headquarters||Atlanta, Georgia, United States |
Number of locations
|North America, Canada|
HD Supply is an industrial distributor in North America. The company provides a broad range of products and value-added services to approximately 500,000 professional customers in maintenance, repair and operations, infrastructure and power and specialty construction sectors. On June 27, 2013, HD Supply Holdings, Inc., the indirect parent of HD Supply, Inc., announced that it had priced an initial public offering of 53,191,489 shares of common stock at $18.00 per share. The shares began trading on the NASDAQ Global Select Market on June 27, 2013 under the ticker symbol HDS. The Company continues to be majority owned by private equity firms Bain Capital, The Carlyle Group and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. As of 12/16/2014 SEC filings show that The Carlyle Group and Clayton, Dubilier, & Rice have sold off their holdings.
The company was founded in 1974 as Maintenance Warehouse in San Diego, CA. In 1997 The Home Depot purchased Maintenance Warehouse with its dedicated delivery trucks and free delivery service. In 2004 Maintenance Warehouse changed its name to HD Supply. In January 2006, Home Depot announced that it was acquiring Hughes Supply in a $3.2 billion deal. Hughes Supply was integerated into the HD Supply division. In 2007 the company was purchased by private equity firms Bain Capital LLC; The Carlyle Group; and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and continued as HD Supply. Home Depot, after changing CEO's from Bob Nardelli to Frank Blake, decided to sell HD Supply, in order to raise capital to repurchase Home Depot stock and shore up the stock price.
HD Supply Holdings, Inc. went public on June 27, 2013, on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol HDS. The enterprise business units are divided into three categories with 650 locations across 48 states and seven Canadian provinces.
- Maintenance, Repair and Operations - HD Supply Facilities Maintenance and HD Supply Home Improvement.
- Infrastructure and Power - HD Supply Waterworks and HD Supply Power Solutions.
- Specialty Construction - HD Supply Construction & Industrial — White Cap and HD Supply Interior Solutions.
Awards and honors
U-T San Diego Top workplaces in 2011 and 2013 
- April 2, 2012 - HD Supply Facilities Maintenance acquired Peachtree Business Products, giving customers' access to customized business and property marketing supplies.
- Oct 2, 2005 - The Home Depot Supply's acquisition of USABlueBook enabled the company to supply water and wastewater products to customers around the world.
- Aug 12, 2003 - The acquisition of Economy Maintenance Supply enhanced the companies capability to serve customers throughout the Northeast.
- July 12, 2000 - Acquisition of N–E Thing Supply Company broadened the product offerings, service, and sales coverage to customers throughout Texas and surrounding areas.
- "News Release - What are San Diego's top workplaces?". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved 2013-08-11.