|Stefan Widing |
President and CEO
(President, Identity and Access Management)
(Senior VP, Human Resources)
(Senior VP and CFO)
(Senior VP, Global Quality and Operations)
|Products||Photo ID badges |
Contactless/contact smart cards
|Revenue|| US$6.1 Billion 2011|
| US$1.0 Billion 2011 |
|Total equity|| US$3.32 Billion 2011 |
Number of employees
|>2,100 Q4 2011|
Originally formed to develop radio frequency identification technologies, HID Global was formed in 1991 as Hughes Identification Devices, a subsidiary of Hughes Aircraft Company with offices in California and Scotland. The original 125-kilohertz proximity technology had been pioneered by Destron IDI, Boulder, Colorado and used in many applications including Animal Identification, Tyre tracking and in motor vehicle and aircraft industries to track parts, and the company’s founders thought there would be markets interested in using this technology for other purposes.
In 1994 the office in Scotland was closed and the European business passed to a UK based independent distributor, ID Plus Ltd who were later acquired by HID Corporation Ltd in August 1999.
In October 1995, Hughes management, with help from Citibank Venture Capital, combined its military communications and display products groups with its AML Wireless Systems organization and Hughes Identification Devices (HID) to form Palomar Technologies Corporation. It was at that point that the decision was made to focus efforts on RFID for physical access control, and five years later, the company was acquired by the world's largest lock-maker, Swedish conglomerate Assa Abloy AB.
The company sells physical access control products, logical access control solutions, and secure issuance solutions that comprise cards, readers, smart card readers (OMNIKEY), networked access solutions, card printer/encoders (FARGO) and software. Its other business segment includes virtualization technology, cashless payment, government ID, RFID for industry and logistics and Animal ID solutions and professional services.
HID manufactures and licenses several types of technologies, from Wiegand products to 13.56 MHz iCLASS, MIFARE, and DESFire, as well as the 125 kHz Indala and Prox cards. Migration readers from various 125 kHz Prox technologies to 13.56 MHz iCLASS were introduced in 2007.
The company is based in Austin, Texas with other production facilities in Asia and Europe. Some of these facilities are located in Hong Kong, China and Galway, Ireland. It also has research and development centers in Cardiff, UK, Denver, Colorado as well as Fremont and Mountain View in Northern California. The company also has a design facility in Chennai, India.
HID Global serves a variety of partner such as OEMs, system integrators, application developers and channel partners in domestic and international markets. Some OEM partners include Siemens, Honeywell, Lenel (UTC Fire & Security), and Tyco. The company also partners with computer manufacturers to create new products. HID worked with Dell to develop HID on the Desktop, a three-component PC logon solution that won the 2009 Smart Card Alliance Award for Outstanding Technology. HID later partnered with Panasonic to integrate an HID Global RFID module into Panasonic's Personal Identification Mini Dock to support reading biometric passports.
HID Global also worked with Inside Secure (formally known as Inside Contactless) and US Bank to supply HID iCLASS contactless smart card technology in the US Bank PayID card program that was the 2010 Paybefore Award Winner for Best Innovative Program. The PayID card program uses an all-purpose card to provide contactless physical access to U.S. Bank facilities, along with contactless payment and traditional magnetic stripe cards for purchases made by U.S. Bank employees.
End-users of HID products primarily include government, financial, corporate, education and healthcare markets.
- HID Global supplies its readers and credentials for access control to Banco do Nordeste of Brasil, Employers Mutual Casualty Company
- HID Global provides network access control to the China Pacific Insurance Co. and Jinwan District People’s Procuratorate located in Sihucheng District, Zhuhai city.
- HID Global supplied card customization products and services to Amway India and Action Ambulance Service.
This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (May 2018)
- 1991: Formed as Hughes Identification Devices, a subsidiary of Hughes Aircraft
- 1995: Became a subsidiary of Palomar Technological Companies, changed name to HID Corporation
- 1996: Acquired Sensor Engineering, adding Wiegand products
- 2000: Acquired by Assa Abloy AB
- 2001: HID acquired Motorola's Indala RFID access control business
- 2003: Acquired the card and reader business of Dorado Products, Inc.
- 2006: Acquired Fargo Electronics, adding card issuance technology
- 2006: Merged with Assa Abloy sister company Indala
- 2006: Formed HID Global
- 2007: Acquired Integrated Engineering, adding flexible MIFARE-based reader technology
- 2008: Merger of HID Global and Assa Abloy Identification Technologies Group
- 2010: Acquired ActivIdentity for US$162 million - is active in intelligent identity
- 2011: Acquired LaserCard, a provider of secure ID products, for US$80 million.
- 2012: Acquired EasyLobby for secure visitor management software and products.
- 2013: Acquired Codebench for FIPS 201 integration with physical access control systems
- 2014: Acquired Lumidigm for biometric authentication solutions
- 2014: Acquired IdenTrust, a provider of digital identities
- 2015: Acquired IAI, a provider of personalization solutions for identity documents
- 2015: Acquired Quantum Secure, a provider of identity management software
- 2016: Acquired DemoTeller, a provider of instant issuance solutions for the financial market
- 2018: Acquired Crossmatch, a leader in bio-metric enrollment and identity devices
- "Annual Report 2011". Assa Abloy.
- "The Evolution of HID" http://www.globalsmart.com/The_evolution_of_HID
- Security Stock Watch http://www.securitystockwatch.com/Interviews/in_Boardroom_HID1.html
- Plötz, Henryk (29 December 2010). "Analyzing a modern cryptographic RFID system - HID iClass demystified" (PDF). Berlin: Chaos Communication Congress. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Meriac, Milosch (29 December 2010). "Heart of Darkness - exploring the uncharted backwaters of HID iCLASS security" (PDF). Berlin: Chaos Communication Congress. p. 5. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Dell partnership: http://www.smartcardalliance.org/pages/activities-osca-awards-2009
- China Pacific Insurance
- "ASSA ABLOY Acquires HID Corporation".
- "HID Global and ASSA ABLOY Identification Technologies (ITG) Merge".
- "HID Global Announces Agreement to Acquire ActivIdentity".
- "LaserCard Acquisition to Advance HID Global Solutions for Secure Identity".
- "HID Global Acquires Codebench to Provide Complete Access Control Solutions for HSPD-12/FIPS-201 Compliance".
- "HID Global Acquires Biometric Leader Lumidigm, Enhances Authentication Portfolio".
- "HID Global Acquires IdenTrust to Expand Its Leadership Position in Secure Identity Solutions".
- "HID Global Announces Acquisition of IAI to Add to Identity Security Solutions Portfolio". Security Sales & Integration. SSI Staff.
- "HID acquires Quantum Secure". Security Systems News. Martha Entwistle.
- "HID Global buys DemoTeller". Security Systems News. SSN Staff.