HMS Acheron (1838)
Acheron in New Zealand
|Ordered:||15 September 1837[Note 1]|
|Laid down:||October 1837|
|Launched:||23 August 1838|
|Commissioned:||8 January 1839|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Hermes-class sloop|
|Tons burthen:||715 43/94 bm|
|Beam:||32 ft 9 in (10.0 m)|
|Depth of hold:||18 ft 2 in (5.5 m)|
|Installed power:||160 nominal horsepower|
|Sail plan:||3-masted barque rigged|
HMS Acheron was a Hermes-class wooden paddle sloop of the Royal Navy. She was launched at Sheerness in 1838. Between 1848 and 1851 she made a coastal survey of New Zealand, the first such survey since Captain Cook. She was sold at Sydney in 1855.
Acheron, under the command of Captain John Lort Stokes, was despatched to New Zealand in January 1848, arriving in November the same year. In March 1851, due to a budget cut to the Hydrographer of the Navy, Acheron was ordered to be laid up in Sydney, Australia and her crew returned to England. However, in November 1851, she was sent to rescue the passengers and crew of the British merchant ship Syrian, which had run aground on the Elizabeth Reef whilst on a voyage from Wellington, New Zealand to Sydney.
- Acheron was ordered from Chatham dockyard on 15 September 1837, but this was changed to Sheerness on 18 September, because the relevant tooling was already present there.
- A total cost accounting for inflation of approximately £2,256,000 in 2010.
- Winfield (2004) p.158
- Ritchie, Steve (1 January 2008). "By the Old Hydrographer". Hydro International.
- Natusch, Sheila. "John Lort Stokes". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Ship News". The Times (21066). London. 18 March 1852. col F, p. 7.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Winfield, R.; Lyon, D. (2004). The Sail and Steam Navy List: All the Ships of the Royal Navy 1815–1889. London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-032-6.
|This article related to the British Empire (1497–1997) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Zealand–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|