HMS Ambuscade (F172)
Ambuscade firing her 4.5" gun
|Laid down:||1 September 1971|
|Launched:||18 January 1973|
|Commissioned:||5 September 1975|
|Decommissioned:||28 July 1993|
|Identification:||Pennant number: F172|
|Fate:||Sold to Pakistan on 28 July 1993|
|Class and type:||Type 21 frigate|
|Displacement:||3,250 tons full load|
|Length:||384 ft (117 m)|
|Beam:||41 ft 9 in (12.73 m)|
|Draught:||19 ft 6 in (5.94 m)|
|Speed:||32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)|
|Aircraft carried:||1 × Westland Wasp helicopter, later refitted for 1 × Westland Lynx|
Ambuscade took part in the Falklands War and by the mid-1980s was suffering from cracking in her hull. She was taken in for refitting, with a steel plate being welded down each side of the ship. At the same time modifications were made to reduce hull noise. Exocet launchers were also added in 'B' position later on in 1984/5 and 3" launchers relocated to 02 deck midships.
In 1983 Ambuscade collided with USS Dale in the Indian Ocean, resulting in part of her bows being torn away. Ambuscade was laid up in Bombay for 6 weeks while a new bow was constructed and fitted.
|1977||1977||Standing Naval Force Atlantic||6 months|
|1978||1978||5th Frigate Squadron and cruiser HMS Blake. Western Atlantic and Pacific||5 months|
|1979||1979||Belize and West Indies Guardship|
|1980||1980||Refit at Devonport|
|1981||1982||Sea training. Armilla Patrol|
|1982||1982||South Atlantic (Falklands War)|
|1983||1983||Collision while on Armilla Patrol|
|1983||1984||West Indies Guardship|
|1984||1986||Refit at Devonport|
|1988||1988||West Indies Guardship|
|1989||1989||UK and Europe|
|1991||1991||West Indies Guardship|
|1993||1993||Sold to the Pakistan Navy|
|1975 - 1976||Commander A. P Harris RN|
|1976 - 1978||Commander Peter Abbott RN|
|1977 - 1979||Commander M P Gretton RN|
|1991 - 1993||Commander Stephen Kirby RN|
- "HMS Ambuscade". Clydebuilt. Retrieved 8 November 2009.
- "Collision USS Dale". HMS Ambuscade Association. Retrieved 8 November 2009.
- "Air-sea aid for holed schooner". The Times (61853). London. 9 June 1984. col A, B, p. 3.
- HMS Ambuscade: RN Career and Programme reference for following table]
- "HMS Ambuscade". Type21Club. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Marriott, Leo, 1983. Royal Navy Frigates 1945-1983, Ian Allen Ltd, Surrey. ISBN 978-0-7110-1322-3